Tick bites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tick bites

Have you had a doctor, or heard a reliable news source, say that a tick attached for less than 24 hours can still transmit Lyme or other diseases? There's a lot in our local news right now about ticks, and new diseases being found in them -- but conspicuously absent from each report is the standard medical advice that there are no real worries about disease if you get the tick out within 24 to 36 hours.

Probably just selective omission for the sake of fear-mongering (some of these articles have the tone of "You're doomed if you get bit!"), but I was just wondering if anybody has actually heard about that "safe" period being shortened. The CDC website, for one, still says 24 to 36 hours.

From what I hear is that if you have one attached and when pulling it out what happens is you can squeeze let’s just say some juices back into you with the disease. So maybe the less full of blood they are?

Always thought thats why they say always get as close to the head as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
      From what I hear is that if you have one attached and when pulling it out what happens is you can squeeze let’s just say some juices back into you with the disease. So maybe the less full of blood they are?

Always thought thats why they say always get as close to the head as you can.
      I've heard that too. Makes sense. But I think it still depends on how long the tick's been attached. Also, I remember something about grasping nearest to the head as you can so you don't break off the body and leave the head in your skin -- which could then cause an infection, whether or not disease is involved.

Comment

My buddy got a tick bite turkey hunting. He now has Lyme disease because he waited to go to the doctor. Don’t wait go see a doctor.

Comment

Cover embedded ticks with (clear) nail polish.

Comment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powassan_virus

The Powassan virus infection is less than 12 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              Cover embedded ticks with (clear) nail polish.

Sorry FB, that’s an old wives tale.

https://www.healthination.com/health...l-polish-myth/

Comment

I should pay more attention to ticks but for some reason I don’t pick up all that many. My wife on the other hand gets one on her almost every time we walk on the hill. My daughter gets more than the Kid as well.

I can only ever remember having two imbedded, the first was on a bird hunting trip in Minnesota, my dog was loaded with them everyday. I woke up one morning and could feel something pinching between my shoulder blades, had an idea what it was and had one of the guys get it out. The second was here at home, I got it just as it started digging in.

About ten years ago my wife was having joint pain issues, mostly in her feet. She couldn’t wear most of her shoes for over a year. Bunch of tests were inconclusive for a number of things, her Nurse Practitioner finally just prescribed the antibiotic for Lyme and within a couple weeks she was back to normal, even before she’d finished the prescription up.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                  My buddy got a tick bite turkey hunting. He now has Lyme disease because he waited to go to the doctor. Don’t wait go see a doctor.
                  Good advice if you know you’ve been bit, problem is that sometimes people don’t realize it.

In my wife’s case she was told that the antibiotic wouldn’t cause any harm if she didn’t have Lyme, other than some serious nausea right after taking it. She’d do so each night before bed and sit upright for about a half hour before being able to lay down. We still don’t know if she had Lyme or not but the problem went away so it was well worth it.

Comment

We used the nail polish thing. It kills the tick. (not necessarily a good idea!)
                    When I was a smoker, we simply touched the tick with the tip of a lit cigarette. Dead tick.
                    Before that, we bathed in water as hot as you could stand it with a capful or 2 of Pine-sol in the water.
                    That killed ticks and chiggers.
                    Today, if I fear I've gotten into chiggers, I'll shower ASAP as hot as I can stand it and lather up really well at li east twice.
                    It won't stop the itch of buried chiggers, but it will kill any that aren't yet embedded.

I had chiggers so bad once, I ran a fever! THAT was tough! I was 7 at the time.

Comment

I've also heard of guys that used dog flea collars around their ankles.
                      The say it's not a good idea as it has dog chemicals, not people chemicals.

Comment

A veterinarian once showed me how to remove a tick embedded in your skin.
                        Pinch it by the neck with your thumb nail and first finger nail as close to your skin as possible.
                        Twist a quarter of a turn without pulling.
                        Then twist another quarter of a turn while pulling until the tick comes out, with its head still attached.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                          From what i heard is it even takes awhile for them to detect it. So even a fresh bite might take a week for it to show up in a test.

Comment

I use off on my clothes and put mint oil all over my skin. Works for me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Small town Alaskan girl wins Olympic Gold!
                              by labrador12
                              Small town red state American girl Lydia Jacoby wins a gold medal at Tokyo Olympics. Great story of kid from moose land competing on the world stage and...
                              Today, 02:22 PM
                            • Reply to Hydrostatic Shock
                              by DakotaMan
                              Franchi, you can get HSM 25-06 Rem ammo loaded with the 75g Hornady VMAX bullet going at 3600 fps. That is enough velocity to let you experience hydrostatic...
                              Today, 01:26 PM
                            • Hydrostatic Shock
                              by MattM37
                              Any thoughts on the phenomenon of hydrostatic shock? I don't know enough about rifle-shooting to have an opinion. Always found it interesting, though....
                              07-16-2021, 11:45 AM
                            • Reply to Burn Rates
                              by Ernie
                              One thing to remember is that even when you are using a powder like H-4350, you can have lot to lot variations, and that is true of any brand of powd...
                              Today, 12:55 PM
                            • Burn Rates
                              by jhjimbo
                              Read a article recently discussing Burn Rates of smokeless powder. One comment he made is not all the charts are in agreement. I thought just the opposite...
                              07-24-2021, 07:05 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X