Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durango Woman Killed and Partially Consumed By Bear

https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Page...px?NewsID=7777

This is in Colorado, so it was a black bear with yearling cubs.

I was out doing a lot of walking around today, saw some big game. I didn't even have bear spray. I'd guess most people around here don't carry firearms, though maybe we should. The cats are not aggressive at all, nor are bears normally, I guess it was hungry, just out of hibernation for a month maybe,,,, usually they seem to eat a lot of green grass after green up but it's not really green up yet.

I think dogs are maybe more of an attractant than anything, get all barky and bears and especially moose come stomp the owner.

Too bad.

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
    https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Page...px?NewsID=7777

This is in Colorado, so it was a black bear with yearling cubs.

I was out doing a lot of walking around today, saw some big game. I didn't even have bear spray. I'd guess most people around here don't carry firearms, though maybe we should. The cats are not aggressive at all, nor are bears normally, I guess it was hungry, just out of hibernation for a month maybe,,,, usually they seem to eat a lot of green grass after green up but it's not really green up yet.

I think dogs are maybe more of an attractant than anything, get all barky and bears and especially moose come stomp the owner.

Too bad.
    What part do the bears eat first ? My Sisters German Shepard's confronts a bear.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

What part do the bears eat first ? My Sisters German Shepard's confronts a bear.
      I'm not sure. I've seen them first scoop the guts out of an elk calf. I think most predators eat the heart/lungs/liver/spleen because they can only digest so much meat at a time, and if they get driven off by other predators they've eaten the most nutritious parts. There was scat at the site so I'd think they had time to eat as much as possible.

Another time I read an account by a guy who had his leg eaten by a grizzly in Yellowstone, so that bear started with a leg but he was alive and mostly conscious. Not simply bit but eaten.

I'm waiting to hear if they think the bear had been habituated or not. There are tons of people living along major roads even in fairly remote parts of CO. This occurred maybe 6 or 8 miles N of Durango in the foothills of the San Juans.

Comment

Chances are the dogs attracted the bear or its cubs, and the woman could have been trying to haze the bears away from the dogs. Saw that happen to a woman in Pinetop, AZ 10 years ago. Once the bear started eating that woman, it ignored several people who tried to haze away the bear. This took place within 50 yards of condos/summer homes.

RR, it looks like you assume the bears must be black because it was in CO. One report I read stated the bears were blacks. There is (or was) at least one grizzly near Durango. My buddies and I have a permanent elk camp/house on private land 30 miles north of Durango on Lime Creek. There was a grizzly there in 2019.

Comment

We've got bears that roam the neighborhood here in Northwestern Pa. There are bears all over this country. I know guys who won't fish without a big bore revolver strapped to their hip. Bears are funny creatures but big and potentially dangerous. Believe it or not there are still people who feed bears. Non for me thanks. +P and I don't go for sharing our fishing spot with the local bruins. While fishing in Alaska I got a little concerned a couple of years ago and brought my Ithaca down to my spot with me, but that was unusual. Most bears will move along if you stand up to them. Back in the day I used to have a pretty good arm. Bears aren't that fond of a rock in the ribs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump
            by rock rat
            Money in politics is a Republican issue, remember Citizens United? Free speech man!. So make campaign contributions illegal. Most contributors of even...
            Today, 09:43 AM
          • Trump
            by Danbo
            https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
            04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
          • Reply to Trump
            by bowhunter75richard
            Politics has become a total money issue. The ‘dark money’ that was spent on the biden election was in the hundreds of millions of dollars ! The dimwits...
            Today, 08:45 AM
          • Reply to Keepsakes
            by PigHunter
            I have old stuff not considered keepsakes. So I won't list them.

Keepsakes related to the Outdoors:
            > Dad's squirrel rifle, a Winchester...
            Today, 08:18 AM
          • Keepsakes
            by MattM37
            Other than the obvious mounts and such, what have you kept for keepsakes over the years?

I have my dad's old pocketknife, the blade honed...
            Yesterday, 07:56 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X