Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you update your emergency kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you update your emergency kit?

Today I was going through my emergency kit carried when hunting, hiking, and canoeing. Some of my items were woefully past expiration, such as water purification tablets, Imodium, Benadryl, and Advil. How often do you update your kit to get replace expendables?

Part of my kit is this back-up skinning knife. It's a Cold Steel Mini-Tac Skinner with AUS 8A blade steel. Do you carry a small back-up knife?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210320_173911[1].jpg
Views:	190
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	769504

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    Today I was going through my emergency kit carried when hunting, hiking, and canoeing. Some of my items were woefully past expiration, such as water purification tablets, Imodium, Benadryl, and Advil. How often do you update your kit to get replace expendables?

Part of my kit is this back-up skinning knife. It's a Cold Steel Mini-Tac Skinner with AUS 8A blade steel. Do you carry a small back-up knife?

Name:	20210320_173911[1].jpg
Views:	190
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	769504
    Yes, but a drop point blade.

Comment

A lot of things have 'use by' dates. Does not mean they have become useless. Many Govt. agencies 'force' manuf to put dates on their products. If it still looks good and was properly used and stored, keep it. My pet peeve is auto tire dating. I think it is 7 years. I have tires over twenty years that are fine. Just keep them out of the sun. Cover them on trailers and R V's in storage.
      What about reloading powder ? I have used some I know were over 40 years old. Keep them cool and out of the sun and they still smell ''sweet' and are good. Same for primers.
      Also, keep in mind the 'use by' date is different meaning than the 'expired date'.
      Another pet peeve is people tell me reg gas is no good after 6 mo. In a full to the top, sealed container kept cool I have used gas over 6 years old. The secret is full to the top, as little air on top of the gas as possible. I like G. I. jerry cans as they are strong and seal well with good gaskets.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        "... Another pet peeve is people tell me reg gas is no good after 6 mo. In a full to the top, sealed container kept cool I have used gas over 6 years old. The secret is full to the top, as little air on top of the gas as possible. I like G. I. jerry cans as they are strong and seal well with good gaskets. ..."
        jimbo, with "Sta-Bil", there is no sense in taking a chance.
        I carry 30 gallon drums of fuel when I travel. A little "Sta-Bil" in your gasoline and it's good for a year.
        I use "Power Kleen" by Power Services in my diesel. It'll keep diesel fresh as long as I keep it, which is seldom over 60 days.
        This trip to OK, the truck is full and 2 thirty gallon drums. I never put over 29 gallons in a drum. I leave room for expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Yes, but a drop point blade.
          The Mini Tac Skinner has a slight drop point. It worked well on the one pig I've field dressed. That's it hanging from my neck in December 2011 as I posed with a pig I'd just dropped. (Handi Rifle in .45-70)

Name:	Mini Tac Drop.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	769511

Name:	Boar Pic.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	769512

Comment

About once a year. I don't usually set out to do that specifically, but then I'll want something, remember it's in this pack or that pack, and then find the expired medications, or decide I'd rather have some small item as EDC or in a different pack or whatever. Some of my little emergency kits, especially ones I've kept in the car, have sat unopened for years at a time.

At this time last year, when the shutdown began and stores were getting emptied out, I went through all my hunting, fishing, and camping bags and backpacks looking for whatever sanitizer, Advil, etc. that I could scrounge. I found loads of stuff I didn't even remember having or ever buying. And a good twenty or so little bottles of sanitizer, which came in handy.

Comment

When hunting I have a bigger knife in my pack and I usually have a decent sized pocket knife clipped in my pocket and possibly one on my belt. And to your original question uh never really check it my entire truck is a survival kit. Tools, knives, pistol and mags, flashlights, first aid kit, emergency blankets. Hell I even carry a bottle of rem oil for stuck padlocks and such. My wife thinks I’m crazy until I’m am able to fix something on the fly.
              Last edited by Milldawg; 03-30-2021, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad