No announcement yet.

Backup Water Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All good points bubba, I mean it wouldn't even have to be a real cistern, a large reserve tank is more what I was thinking. You're right about stale and sediment though, I was thinking you'd want purification before use though.

All my friends and family are going to come out and have a big cold glass of water and talk about how much they love the taste of mineral water up there... little do they know all of it will be out of an R-O system 不不不

Comment

For as much surface water around here (literally more than dry land), getting a well worth a damn is very much hit and miss. We sit on the Canadian Shield ... solid rock. Wells generally pick up water in fissures, not aquifers. Consequently, drilling a well is typically very expensive and doesn't supply much before running dry. Also, the water often tastes full of minerals ... or is contaminated by septic system. There's a whole lot of multimillion dollar homes in the country that can't wash clothes and dishes at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
        All good points bubba, I mean it wouldn't even have to be a real cistern, a large reserve tank is more what I was thinking. You're right about stale and sediment though, I was thinking you'd want purification before use though.

All my friends and family are going to come out and have a big cold glass of water and talk about how much they love the taste of mineral water up there... little do they know all of it will be out of an R-O system 不不不
        RO works very well, but only for small quantities. Large quantities of water produce too much waste.

Comment

I don't know if these guys would have the best prices overall, but their website seems convenient I checked the Gallons / $$ turns out the 2550 will get you you 2.8 gallons per dollar storage.
          https://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=123

For two people that's 12.75 days. Longer if you get a 2nd tank to drain "gray water", and then reuse Gray water from showers, hand washing, clothes and dishes to run the toilets. Though running the toilets from the gray water would require additional plumbing.

Comment

I don't know if these guys would have the best prices overall, but their website seems convenient I checked the Gallons / $$ turns out the 2550 will get you you 2.8 gallons per dollar storage.
            https://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=123

For two people that's 12.75 days. Longer if you get a 2nd tank to drain "gray water", and then reuse Gray water from showers, hand washing, clothes and dishes to run the toilets. Though running the toilets from the gray water would require additional plumbing.
            Bucky, that dude is 8 foot across and 8 foot tall! LOL!

That's a little over 10.5 tons of Atch-2-naught!
            Better have a heck of a nice pad to set that puppy on! LOL!

See that, "ships in 48 hours"? That's because it's an oversize load and requires permits and routing.
            ....and they don't mention shipping costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
              For as much surface water around here (literally more than dry land), getting a well worth a damn is very much hit and miss. We sit on the Canadian Shield ... solid rock. Wells generally pick up water in fissures, not aquifers. Consequently, drilling a well is typically very expensive and doesn't supply much before running dry. Also, the water often tastes full of minerals ... or is contaminated by septic system. There's a whole lot of multimillion dollar homes in the country that can't wash clothes and dishes at the same time.
              I'm quite sure surface water in your area has "beaver fever" cysts in grand abundance.

Comment

Any of you guys ever 'witched' water? I've used a forked peach stick once over a known source and that sucker turned down and pointed at the ground all on its own. Pretty freaky for a 20 year old. I've never tried again and wonder if I still have the talent.
                Trump 2020 - Keep America Great!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  Any of you guys ever 'witched' water? I've used a forked peach stick once over a known source and that sucker turned down and pointed at the ground all on its own. Pretty freaky for a 20 year old. I've never tried again and wonder if I still have the talent.
                  When I worked in the small town water department, we had 1 waste water man (me), 3 plant operators and a 2 man repair crew.
                  Big repairs, we left one man in the plant. Everybody else pitched in.
                  "Witching" water lines was nearly everyday. The repair/wastewater/plant truck had several brass welding rods we used to "witch" water lines.
                  "Witching" also works very well to locate underground electric lines.

As for a well? No sir. But knew a couple of old timers back home that were known in the community as "water witchers".

An old "wildcatter" used to say he could "smell" oil. Drove all over Texas in a convertible Caddy. Had about a 75% success rate hitting wells.

Ever note that moon phase affects backfilling a hole?
                  During a "waning" moon, you have to haul dirt to fill in a repair excavation.
                  During a "waxing" moon, you'll have to haul dirt off.
                  Weird, but it works.

Comment

Cisterns are great for breeding mosquitoes. Take a look in a rain barrel sometime. Sure, the larvae are easy enough to filter out but if the wife ever sees what's going on in there, she won't let it in the house.

Comment

Bubba I was thinking it'd be easy enough to drop it into a hole. And they do make smaller ones.

OH, the tanks I'm describing are closed, mosquitoes are small, but not small enough to pass thru a liquid/air seal.

Comment

Bubba I was thinking it'd be easy enough to drop it into a hole. And they do make smaller ones.

OH, the tanks I'm describing are closed, mosquitoes are small, but not small enough to pass thru a liquid/air seal.
                        Buckshott00, I think underground, especially plastic (PVC?) is a superb idea.
                        The AWWA ran tests on PVC pipe. Their "best guess" is, underground, PVC will last approximately 1500 years! LOL! That test was 30 years ago!
                        Some of these newer plastics? Who knows?

Mosquito larva.
                        A little dab of chlorine (bleach) can solve that problem.
                        Add a 1:5 ratio of ammonia/chlorine and it will last quite a while.
                        Any cistern will need an air vent. Some type screen or filter to guard against dust, bugs and vermin and protect the integrity of the vent.

Honk, aeration (think decorative fountain) will get rid of a lot of "taste & odor" problems.
                        A PAC (powdered activated carbon) filter will also help. Unfortunately, they should be changed pretty often.

Comment

The site says they're good for above ground, but I think sinking them into a hole or a pit would be best, the one I listed as having the best storage to cost (value) ratio was made out of Polyethylene which means that particular tank would probably only be good for 15-20 years if out in the sun, maybe as many as 40-50 years in a pit.

If I was looking at these I think I might look for Polypropylene if they make them that big.

Any water that's sat stagnant for any long length of time, I would want to aerate and filter before drinking, course if you have different sources / tanks you can switch and set certain tanks for grey water. Guess it all depends on how much you're willing to put into it.

If we were all in a SHTF scenario, I'd probably look to a place that had a source of running water, and then position some kind of pipeline to get a gravity head to generate electricity and make filtering a bit easier

Comment

The site says they're good for above ground, but I think sinking them into a hole or a pit would be best, the one I listed as having the best storage to cost (value) ratio was made out of Polyethylene which means that particular tank would probably only be good for 15-20 years if out in the sun, maybe as many as 40-50 years in a pit.

If I was looking at these I think I might look for Polypropylene if they make them that big.

Any water that's sat stagnant for any long length of time, I would want to aerate and filter before drinking, course if you have different sources / tanks you can switch and set certain tanks for grey water. Guess it all depends on how much you're willing to put into it.

If we were all in a SHTF scenario, I'd probably look to a place that had a source of running water, and then position some kind of pipeline to get a gravity head to generate electricity and make filtering a bit easier
                            Waste water treatment plants are set up in "primary" and "secondary" stages. In California, they add a third, "tertiary" stage, to their waste water plants. Plant effluent from the tertiary stage is piped directly into the influent of a water treatment plant.
                            Water is precious out there.

Grey water can be pretty easily treated for reuse. Personally, I don't think it's worth it unless you're in a environment that may make it necessary.

In a SHTF situation, I think I'd prefer an underground tank.
                            Less visible and the tank will last longer.
                            Out of sight! Out of mind!

JMHO

Comment

City water but there are still 2 wells left over from the old days. I brought samples to the county lab, it's ok to drink. Generator with gas cans and whatever is in the cars, we'd last plenty long. We've both lived for long periods without water long ago. I'd be a lot better off than I was then.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad