Food supplies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

We tried that but the yield wasn't worth the effort.
    Understood. ​​​​

Comment

Fitch the good thing about canning is you don't have to worry about the freezer going out. A lot of off grid people in Alaska can salmon and moose.

We pretty consistently put 200 lbs of meat per year in the freezer but it's lean. On a good year it's 400lbs (2 elk) we are lucky to have big, big game, here.

We let the lettuce and cilantro go to seed right in the garden, then when we turn things over in the spring and rake it out and water it, tons of lettuce and cilantro come up. No worries about frost or snow as they are hardy, we've been eating both for a month now.

I'm not worried about shortages, we've lived in much less than most are used to so we should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
        Fitch the good thing about canning is you don't have to worry about the freezer going out. A lot of off grid people in Alaska can salmon and moose.

We pretty consistently put 200 lbs of meat per year in the freezer but it's lean. On a good year it's 400lbs (2 elk) we are lucky to have big, big game, here.

We let the lettuce and cilantro go to seed right in the garden, then when we turn things over in the spring and rake it out and water it, tons of lettuce and cilantro come up. No worries about frost or snow as they are hardy, we've been eating both for a month now.

I'm not worried about shortages, we've lived in much less than most are used to so we should be fine.
        First year in the house we had straight line winds that took power out for three days. We have a 8500 watt gasoline generator and a manual bypass panel so can get by in a pinch. Something happens when we're away it's a different story. We're now running a 5 and 7 cubic ft freezers in addition to the one on the fridge, canning could buy us room to not need another as well.

Comment

What I’m not stocked up on I can buy or take by force if needed. We will not starve. But we also have an entire extra bedroom full of everything that you could think of. At least three months worth of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

I was talking with a guy today who sold off his dairy cows a couple weeks ago. He has 100 head of beef going but the earliest process date he can book is in January. He's rolling with it. No shortage of animals in general around here, but getting them processed looks to be a hassle.

Local grocery store is limiting meat purchases to 2 per household per day. We rarely buy beef but I've been picking up whatever chicken or pork deals they have when I stop in each week as our options other than venison were getting low. We've been totally out of fish for some time, try not to freeze them unless we do an ocean trip. Might be less catch and release this year.
            Do you have a recommended weekly limit on local fish consumption. All of Ohio has various recommendations with special guidelines for pregnant women.
            The local waters have all cleaned up (pollutants have sunk in the muck) but bottom dwellers stir up the sediment some - jmo. Most guidelines are one meal per week.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Do you have a recommended weekly limit on local fish consumption. All of Ohio has various recommendations with special guidelines for pregnant women.
              The local waters have all cleaned up (pollutants have sunk in the muck) but bottom dwellers stir up the sediment some - jmo. Most guidelines are one meal per week.
              We have some with the same type guidelines but it’s not usually an issue.Natural reproducers who’ve been in those waters since hatching we are mindful of, predator fish like bass. Stocked trout haven’t feed long enough in the system to worry much. We go in cycles eating fish as well, it’s not like they are a constant meal with us.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad