Food supplies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food supplies

We got about 90% of the garden in this weekend, the rest is stuff that we started that isn't up enough yet to put in the ground and I need to pick up some broccoli as ours didn't germinate. Luckily we found a guy that has some as seeds and started plants have gone the way of TP this year. Same guy sells compost and says he sold more before last week than he did all last year. I've posted about our garden and related canning and such before and realize not everyone here is in a position to do so but I'm curious how some of you are planning to address keeping your pantries stocked, if at all. We keep pretty well stocked but may start going into a bit of prepper mode this summer. One method we haven't done is using a pressure canner for meat, mainly venison. It's something I've wanted to try for some time, mostly for convienence as another meal option. Considering the current unknowns regarding food supplies it looks like we will load up more than usual in the freezers and canning. Worst case we end up with extra we give to family.

Anybody else giving things extra thought?

BTW, @ FB; Asparagus was starting to come up but froze off twice last week. Rebounded nicely the past two days, we should be having our first fresh veggies of the year later this week.

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    We got about 90% of the garden in this weekend, the rest is stuff that we started that isn't up enough yet to put in the ground and I need to pick up some broccoli as ours didn't germinate. Luckily we found a guy that has some as seeds and started plants have gone the way of TP this year. Same guy sells compost and says he sold more before last week than he did all last year. I've posted about our garden and related canning and such before and realize not everyone here is in a position to do so but I'm curious how some of you are planning to address keeping your pantries stocked, if at all. We keep pretty well stocked but may start going into a bit of prepper mode this summer. One method we haven't done is using a pressure canner for meat, mainly venison. It's something I've wanted to try for some time, mostly for convienence as another meal option. Considering the current unknowns regarding food supplies it looks like we will load up more than usual in the freezers and canning. Worst case we end up with extra we give to family.

Anybody else giving things extra thought?

BTW, @ FB; Asparagus was starting to come up but froze off twice last week. Rebounded nicely the past two days, we should be having our first fresh veggies of the year later this week.
    We have a small family farm nearby. What we don't grow we can purchase fresh off the farm from them. I still love to garden, but a garden down the road is easier! LOL!

We have blackberries and grapes for jellies and wine.

You need a pressure canner for nonacidic foods like meat etc.
    My pressure cooker is a National, has no seal and is older than me! It was my paternal grandmothers. I need to replace the pressure gauge and it's good to go.
    Neighbor is going to get me 5 gallons of wheat when he combines. We're going give the old grain mill a workout for some flour.
    Another neighbor plants corn. Maybe some cornmeal also.

We also use a drier for garlic, onions, tomatoes, peppers and squash.

fitch270, we really enjoyed our asparagus but it's played out for this year. We ate about a ton of the stuff, then started giving it away.
    If it weren't for all the salt, I'd pickle some.

Comment

We live on a 150 x 150 ft lot and the neighborhood covenants prohibit gardens and livestock. So, we stockpile a few months of store bought food. No tractor, no tiller, no feeding animals, no fuss. The freezer is full of venison, pork, and beef. The pantry is full of food.

Comment

I am very well prepped. Two freezers full fish, beef, venison, some vegies. Plus I have cases of MRE's. I also keep 55gal of potable water and have available 100gal of gas and 300lb of propane. Let it rain.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          We live on a 150 x 150 ft lot and the neighborhood covenants prohibit gardens and livestock. So, we stockpile a few months of store bought food. No tractor, no tiller, no feeding animals, no fuss. The freezer is full of venison, pork, and beef. The pantry is full of food.
          The livestock thing I can understand, but being able to whack yard deer with the crossbow and not being allowed a couple tomato or cucumber plants in the ground is kind of odd to me. Iā€™m not cut out for suburb living, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

We have a small family farm nearby. What we don't grow we can purchase fresh off the farm from them. I still love to garden, but a garden down the road is easier! LOL!

We have blackberries and grapes for jellies and wine.

You need a pressure canner for nonacidic foods like meat etc.
            My pressure cooker is a National, has no seal and is older than me! It was my paternal grandmothers. I need to replace the pressure gauge and it's good to go.
            Neighbor is going to get me 5 gallons of wheat when he combines. We're going give the old grain mill a workout for some flour.
            Another neighbor plants corn. Maybe some cornmeal also.

We also use a drier for garlic, onions, tomatoes, peppers and squash.

fitch270, we really enjoyed our asparagus but it's played out for this year. We ate about a ton of the stuff, then started giving it away.
            If it weren't for all the salt, I'd pickle some.
            We may have to try pickling some, we do about everything else.
            We like dehydrated tomatoes, I call it tomato jerky.

Comment

The livestock thing I can understand, but being able to whack yard deer with the crossbow and not being allowed a couple tomato or cucumber plants in the ground is kind of odd to me. Iā€™m not cut out for suburb living, lol.
              Oh, we can have a few plants in pots, but it's really not worth the trouble and we definitely wouldn't have enough to keep ourselves fed. Now, whacking yard deer is my secret and none of my neighbors know about that, lol! But there's no rules against it as long as I don't use a firearm.

I thought long and hard before moving here. A couple of the alternatives included buying acreage further out and building a house there. However, at times I travel and for safety purposes didn't want to leave PigHuntress alone so far out of town. Besides, my daily commute to an office would have doubled. A bonus is in being just a few minutes drive away from just about anything we need.

This house is very nice and comfortable. But it's really too large for just the two of us. The plan is to sell it when I retire and move to something smaller, perhaps even a condo without a yard to keep up. I plan to work full time until age 70 and may continue working part time after that. It just depends upon my health... Lord willing and the Creek don't rise.

Comment

I'm not prepared at all.

No food prepping here.šŸ™ƒ

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  What about raised beds?

Comment

We don't have a garden of our own, instead we are helping my mom with hers and will get a portion of the produce.

As for meat we put a quarter of a beef in the freezer last month and added a whole hog last week.
                    I'm really looking forward to deer season this year as the place we moved to in March is ideal deer habitat and bordered on all sides by the same. I've seen deer in my yard frequently and find fresh tracks even more often. There's also a man-made wetlands across the road. While the wetlands is off limits, we farm the neighboring property and birds like cleaning up behind the combine šŸ™‚.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
                      We don't have a garden of our own, instead we are helping my mom with hers and will get a portion of the produce.

As for meat we put a quarter of a beef in the freezer last month and added a whole hog last week.
                      I'm really looking forward to deer season this year as the place we moved to in March is ideal deer habitat and bordered on all sides by the same. I've seen deer in my yard frequently and find fresh tracks even more often. There's also a man-made wetlands across the road. While the wetlands is off limits, we farm the neighboring property and birds like cleaning up behind the combine šŸ™‚.
                      You just livin' right, mi amigo!

Comment

I was talking with a guy today who sold off his dairy cows a couple weeks ago. He has 100 head of beef going but the earliest process date he can book is in January. He's rolling with it. No shortage of animals in general around here, but getting them processed looks to be a hassle.

Local grocery store is limiting meat purchases to 2 per household per day. We rarely buy beef but I've been picking up whatever chicken or pork deals they have when I stop in each week as our options other than venison were getting low. We've been totally out of fish for some time, try not to freeze them unless we do an ocean trip. Might be less catch and release this year.

Comment

My neighbor always has a beef if I want it.
                          Hauled our big upright freezer to south Texas. I'm regretting it now! LOL!
                          Oh well! Frozen goods just can't survive that 550 mile drive.
                          We will have grape/berry jelly and grapes and berries for wine.
                          It'll all work out.

Comment

I was talking with a guy today who sold off his dairy cows a couple weeks ago. He has 100 head of beef going but the earliest process date he can book is in January. He's rolling with it. No shortage of animals in general around here, but getting them processed looks to be a hassle.

Local grocery store is limiting meat purchases to 2 per household per day. We rarely buy beef but I've been picking up whatever chicken or pork deals they have when I stop in each week as our options other than venison were getting low. We've been totally out of fish for some time, try not to freeze them unless we do an ocean trip. Might be less catch and release this year.
                            The local locker we go to is booked through October, the next nearest locker is booked through January 2021. Your absolutely right about the number of animals and the ability to process said animals. I drove to south central Nebraska the week before last and picked up six 300 pound hogs for ourselves and family members. All of which we processed on farm.
                            Last edited by Red Angus; 05-18-2020, 11:13 PM.

Comment

What about raised beds?
                              We tried that but the yield wasn't worth the effort.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wildebeest rug
                                by Happy Myles
                                Many fine eating animals are found in Africa, including Springbuck. Gerenuk is among my favorites along with Lesser kudu. As a matter of fact, all the...
                                Today, 01:51 PM
                              • Wildebeest rug
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                My daughter put in the request for wildebeest hide for my safari last year. Her man wasn't particularly crazy about it so I brought it home last week....
                                06-04-2020, 07:59 PM
                              • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                                by Buckshott00
                                "at what point is it quenched?"
                                When it turns to looting and burning. No one is questioning that BHR. What I'm asking you to realize...
                                Today, 01:35 PM
                              • Jackbooted Thugs
                                by Buckshott00
                                I know tensions are high. I know there's a curfew in effect, but...

If you fire (even pepper / paintball rounds) at someone on their porch...
                                06-01-2020, 02:37 AM
                              • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                                by Buckshott00
                                We can agree on all those things or none of them. The beauty of love our country is that even if you accept the current Pres. anyone can still disagree...
                                Today, 01:27 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X