Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to field dress a deer...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to field dress a deer...

    ...and never touch bone with your knife!

    This guy has a set of lopping shears you can cut lumber with! They're HUGE! I use a smaller set of lopping shears and I don't use a gut hook, but it works just the same!

    https://youtu.be/vyDfcictn5E
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 11-10-2019, 04:42 PM.

  • #2
    I'm still a very inexperience hunter so videos like these are helpful

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Srbyam View Post
      I'm still a very inexperience hunter so videos like these are helpful
      Go to a lawn & garden store or a hardware store. You should be able to locate "lopping shears" with 16/18 inch handles that would fit in a hunting pack.
      Photo below is what I keep in my truck for such occasions.

      Comment


      • #4
        I only use a knife, cut along side sternum to get up in there.
        Buds call my field dressing "speed surgery".
        Am fast and neat about it.
        Blood no farther up than wrists and pants clean.
        Doing a good job IMHO shows a bit of respect for the critter.

        Know long time deer hunters that fumble through it every year.
        Some are pretty sloppy.
        I don't get it.

        I am fast, but it's no race. Think, be safe and do a nice job.

        Comment


        • #5
          Can do two field dressings before I need to keen up my blade.
          But I really like a new edge for every deer I take.
          Carry an Accusharp just in case.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm pretty sloppy when field dressing a deer, especially when it's after dark and I just want to get the beast out of the woods. Sometimes I'm a mile from the vehicle.

            That tends to make me hunt mornings more, that way I have more time to do a better job if I've made a kill.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              I'm pretty sloppy when field dressing a deer, especially when it's after dark and I just want to get the beast out of the woods. Sometimes I'm a mile from the vehicle.

              That tends to make me hunt mornings more, that way I have more time to do a better job if I've made a kill.
              If there is one thing I despise, it's gutting deer in the dark. ...and I've gutted a butt load with a flashlight!
              Sadly, my second most favorite time to be on stand is that last hour before dark. Most favorite is the butt crack of dawn!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

                If there is one thing I despise, it's gutting deer in the dark. ...and I've gutted a butt load with a flashlight!
                Sadly, my second most favorite time to be on stand is that last hour before dark. Most favorite is the butt crack of dawn!
                Ditto on all of that Bubba. Wearing a headlamp helps, or having someone hold the light.

                Comment


                • #9
                  As a traditionalist, am kinda fond of the Coleman lantern for after dark tracking/ field dressing.

                  But theres fuel and fire hazard.

                  The ol lady bought some LED lanterns for emergency use at home improvement store. Think they were 28 each. Put out a lot of light, but not the kind i find pleasant. Proly better than Maglight between cheek n gum.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for the video that was informative.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      For those interested in processing

                      Purdue does a workshop, has vids on Youtube.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Guess they do a field dressing too

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Purdue shows you how to clean/process deer.
                          IU shows you how to pick a gender and apply makeup.

                          Comment

                          Welcome!

                          Collapse

                          Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                          If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                          And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                          Right Rail 1

                          Collapse

                          Top Active Users

                          Collapse

                          There are no top active users.

                          Right Rail 2

                          Collapse

                          Latest Topics

                          Collapse

                          Right Rail 3

                          Collapse

                          Footer Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X