Ostrich eggs-Survival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ostrich eggs-Survival

Just something 'survival' related from my part of the world that I thought some of you on the other side of the world might find interesting...

The Ostrich egg can hold around one liter of water, which is kept cool and fresh by evaporation through the shell.

The Ostrich egg will weigh 1600 – 2300 gm (about 3.5 to 5 pounds) and is equivalent in volume to 2 dozen chicken eggs.

They are tougher eggs than most people can imagine....

Water are carried or stored in the shells in the Kalahari Desert by the San people and it can sometimes means the difference between life and death in a landscape/climate with NO surface water at all.[rivers,lakes, dams or springs]
    Below is a 1L egg shell 'water bottle' in a woven sling.

It's a very good natural and multipurpose survival resource for food or just even only the empty egg shell to have or use in a very barren, hot and dry landscape if you sometimes are lucky enough to come across one-all depending on the season as well.

That is interesting... and totally foreign in my area. Of course there are no indigenous large birds in the Southeastern USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Wim View Post
      Just something 'survival' related from my part of the world that I thought some of you on the other side of the world might find interesting...

The Ostrich egg can hold around one liter of water, which is kept cool and fresh by evaporation through the shell.

The Ostrich egg will weigh 1600 – 2300 gm (about 3.5 to 5 pounds) and is equivalent in volume to 2 dozen chicken eggs.

They are tougher eggs than most people can imagine....

Water are carried or stored in the shells in the Kalahari Desert by the San people and it can sometimes means the difference between life and death in a landscape/climate with NO surface water at all.[rivers,lakes, dams or springs]
      Below is a 1L egg shell 'water bottle' in a woven sling.

It's a very good natural and multipurpose survival resource for food or just even only the empty egg shell to have or use in a very barren, hot and dry landscape if you sometimes are lucky enough to come across one-all depending on the season as well.
      Good luck robbing the nest. I hear the big birds are very protective. If they decide to scratch your eyes out, they'll often take your head off in the process. I saw a few when I was in South Africa two weeks ago. Impressive things. Some of the lodge's clients shoot them but I wasn't interested. However I was looking forward to hunting some of the other birds but it took me a lot longer to get my kudu than anticipated. Equipment failure.

Comment

The only time I saw some ostrich eggs was around Easter. I guess they can be fun to paint to or whatever they did to them. Never saw a egg shell so thick. Guess they gotta be strong for such a big bird.

Comment

I remember an episode of Survivorman where he poked a hole in a "live" egg and then put the whole thing in the fire to cook. He waited for the liquid to stop bubbling through the hole, then gave it a few more minutes, and called it done.

Comment

The last few times I have been around the San (Bushmen) in the Kalahari they were carrying plastic water bottles. Times have changed. Sigh

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad