The 5 C's of Survival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 5 C's of Survival

Without looking it up, do you know what the 5 C's of Survival are? Most of us probably do, I imagine. Do you agree that those are really what you need for a full survival kit?

C1 - admit you're lost and set up "camp"
    C2 - don't "cry", it's already to wet to plow
    C3 - "cook" some food, you'll feel better if you eat something
    C4 - "carve" notches on a stick to track the days
    C5 - "create" a S-O-S that can be seen from the air

How'd I do?

Comment

Matt, I couldn't remember and had to look it up. But, I believe the 5 C's
      would be inadequate for most people.

Dave Canterberry has moved to "10 C's of Survival" as he's gotten older. Here's a link to the 2-part videos he did on the subject. It's almost 30 minutes long combined. But, it's worth the time because obviously he's put many years of thought into the subject.

Part 1:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltIAdIVemwM

Part 2:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHicuFlNHK0

My kit is based on expectation of rescue within 48 hours. So, it doesn't include any food. Also, I'm heavy on having items for first aid, especially for treating slice and puncture injuries. Below is a pic of the first aid items. Other than that, I put a 6x8 ft tarp, cordage, and tent pegs in my pack as well as a folding saw. Of course I always have a knife and stainless steel water bottle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	First aid kit.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	712927

Comment

How about a "C" for cell phone?

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
          How about a "C" for cell phone?
          Good point 99. But bear in mind there's still plenty of places with inadequate cell coverage. Also, it's not hard to damage your phone due to dropping it or getting it wet. Only a fool would rely totally on his cell phone for rescue. The same goes for the satellite rescue devices / services.

I carry my cellphone in a mini dry bag or case whenever there's a chance of getting it wet. Also, I have a battery / flashlight / charger with cord which can fully recharge the cell phone up to 4 times.

Comment

How about a "C" for condoms (to cover the muzzle of your rifle in the rain)?

Comment

I have heard it called several things, but never a rifle ! Need we concern ourselves with caliber ? 22 short or LR ?

Comment

99, that's one of the uses for a condom. However there's others...
                http://mentalfloss.com/article/70950...x-uses-condoms

Comment

PH - That's good.
                  They are sometimes seen floating in the water at the beach.
                  In New York, they are called "Coney Island trout."

Comment

You could also use a condom (unlubricated, of course) as a water carrier (if you're really really careful). Plus, even in a survival situation, you never know who you might run into (especially as more and more ladies take up outdoor sports).

Edit: Hadn't noticed PH's link when I posted this.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                      Matt, I couldn't remember and had to look it up. But, I believe the 5 C's
                      would be inadequate for most people.

Dave Canterberry has moved to "10 C's of Survival" as he's gotten older. Here's a link to the 2-part videos he did on the subject. It's almost 30 minutes long combined. But, it's worth the time because obviously he's put many years of thought into the subject.

Part 1:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltIAdIVemwM

Part 2:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHicuFlNHK0

My kit is based on expectation of rescue within 48 hours. So, it doesn't include any food. Also, I'm heavy on having items for first aid, especially for treating slice and puncture injuries. Below is a pic of the first aid items. Other than that, I put a 6x8 ft tarp, cordage, and tent pegs in my pack as well as a folding saw. Of course I always have a knife and stainless steel water bottle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	First aid kit.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	712927
                      You know, I knew the phrase came from Canterbury (or he's one who uses it, anyway), and I knew he'd expanded it to 10 C's, but I never made that connection with his aging. I will say, the last one of his videos I watched in which he actually slept out, he did look like he could have used a few more comforts when he got up in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                        C1 - admit you're lost and set up "camp"
                        C2 - don't "cry", it's already to wet to plow
                        C3 - "cook" some food, you'll feel better if you eat something
                        C4 - "carve" notches on a stick to track the days
                        C5 - "create" a S-O-S that can be seen from the air

How'd I do?
                        Technically you're wrong on all counts, but I can't fault the reasoning.

Comment

STRANDED ON A DESERT ISLAND

There was a man who was stranded on a desert island for many, many years. One day, while strolling along the beach, he spotted a ship in the distance. This had never happened in all the time he was on the island, so he was very excited about the chance of being rescued.

Immediately, he built a fire on the beach and generated as much smoke as possible. It worked! Soon, the ship was heading his way. When the ship was close enough to the island, a dinghy was dispatched to investigate the situation. The man on the island was overjoyed with the chance to be rescued and met his saviors as they landed.

After some preliminary conversation the man in charge asked the man on the island how he had survived for so many years.

The man replied by telling of his exploits for food and how he was able to make a fine house to live in. In fact, the man said, "You can see my home from here. It's up there on the ridge."

He pointed the men in the direction of his home. They looked up and saw three buildings. They inquired about the building next to the man's house and he replied, "That's my church - I go there to worship on Sundays."

When asked about the third building, the man replied, "That's where I used to go to church."

Comment

Two men and a girl were stranded on a desert island, and after two months, the girl killed herself because she was disgusted with what the men were doing.
                            Two months later the men got disgusted with what they were doing, and so they buried her.
                            Another two months later, the men got disgusted with what they were doing, so they dug her up again.

Comment

My 5 C's of survival

Couch
                              Computer
                              Comforter
                              Corona
                              Chips (w salsa)

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad