Good book for summer reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good book for summer reading

A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World, by C.A. Fletcher. Lots of good survival-hunting stuff. It's another apocalypse story, but it's set long after most everyone's gone. A family living on an island in Scotland, farming, fishing, hunting .... A stranger sails in one day, swindles the family and takes off with the kid's dog. The kid gears up and goes after him. Good adventure yarn, a bit of a political agenda but not preachy.

You can now read (re-read) "The Catcher in the Rye" (J.D. Salinger, 1951) online for free.

Comment

Watched "A Boy and his dog" a long time ago. Don Johnson in it. Pretty funny.
      Heard "The Road" was good.............got the book. Mediocre at best, movie worse.

Need to finish "What does this button do?" (Bruce Dickenson bio).
      Got a signed copy.
      Go see the "air raid siren" in 2 weeks.

Light read, but enjoyed so far.

Comment

Normally I buy a book and finish it in two to three days (stay up all night reading).
        Did read Hathcocks book a few times on deer stand.
        Read em and pass them to the next person.

Comment

I just finished reading "Grateful American," an autobiography of actor Gary Sinise (Lieut. Dan in Forrest Gump), in which he describes his work in behalf of disabled military veterans over the past 40 years.
          He describes in detail the suffering of amputees, and in some few cases, the lives of multiple amputees.
          I was gratified to read that although he has his own charitable foundation for disabled veterans, he speaks highly of my own pet charity, the DAV.
          I agree with his premise that although we cannot do enough for these veterans, we can always do more.

Comment

One great story from Gary's book is about an American G.I. who gave a five-year-old Iraqi girl a stuffed animal, and in return, she showed him where an improvised explosive device was planted.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad