Not survival, just good eats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not survival, just good eats

Gathered up a big mess of ramps/wild leeks this weekend. Anybody eating any morels, ramps, fiddleheads?

The boy picked some leeks last week in his Sustainable Ag class, so we've been enjoying those. Actually just had them for dinner in some potato soup. Good stuff.

You ever pickle them Matt? We haven't but I'd like to try sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
      The boy picked some leeks last week in his Sustainable Ag class, so we've been enjoying those. Actually just had them for dinner in some potato soup. Good stuff.

You ever pickle them Matt? We haven't but I'd like to try sometime.
      I've thought about pickling them but haven't tried it. Sounds like they'd be great. I never seem to get all I want before they're done for the year -- I get that "abundance mania" that Heavey wrote about in one of his stories. This year I am going to gather a good amount for freezing. I'm trying not to over-harvest the patches on our own land so I think I'll hit the state land for that. So far as I know, there's no regulations about leeks -- not that I'll go too crazy up there, either.

I've done the potato-leek soup, too, and agree, good stuff. Also did a panfish-leek chowder one time with crappies and a few pumpkinseeds. That came out great. Lately I've just been steaming them whole, eating them with a little butter like I'd do with spinach or green beans on the side. I can't believe I used to just chop the green part and toss it.
      Last edited by MattM37; 04-30-2019, 12:49 PM.

Comment

We don’t have any on our hill, but there’s a spot that might hold them if I transplant some. I run into the same thing, too much going on and by the time I think to find some they’re done. I need to get the boy after it, he would benifit in the long run anyway.

Comment

Getting a bunch of morels. Seems to be a good wet year for them so far. Don’t go for leeks. Missed my Watercress season should have been out last month for it. It’s already to tall with flowers on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
            Getting a bunch of morels. Seems to be a good wet year for them so far. Don’t go for leeks. Missed my Watercress season should have been out last month for it. It’s already to tall with flowers on it.
            This is my first year seriously looking for morels. I don't think we've had the right mix of warmth and wetness yet -- we've had a few random warm days, but they were pretty dry and sunny, and we keep lapsing back into freezing or near-freezing temps.

My reading tells me that they are often found at the base of apple or birch trees. Where do you typically find them?

Comment

As soon as it warms up enough with a little bit of rain the night before they’ll come up. I find them in feilds with a couple trees around. Can’t say if there birch trees or not. Apple trees are a good area to search around. Look for your older trees. Ones that are losing a lot of branches. Once you find them then you’ll know where to start. Your not looking exactly at the base of the tree but around the area. They can come up and be tiny. Meaning like a little pinky finger coming up so look good.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
                As soon as it warms up enough with a little bit of rain the night before they’ll come up. I find them in feilds with a couple trees around. Can’t say if there birch trees or not. Apple trees are a good area to search around. Look for your older trees. Ones that are losing a lot of branches. Once you find them then you’ll know where to start. Your not looking exactly at the base of the tree but around the area. They can come up and be tiny. Meaning like a little pinky finger coming up so look good.
                I appreciate the tips.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Obstruction Question !
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  Is anyone else being bothered with the ‘page 1of 1 (or such) and filter, being brought down into the comment section and not remaining in it’s upper...
                  Today, 10:41 AM
                • Reply to Obstruction Question !
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  A rather perplexing issue isn’t SL ? After awhile you will start getting really heated up about it !! I kind of thought things were going along a...
                  Today, 06:43 PM
                • Sealed Drags vs Cork
                  by buckhunter
                  Not sure I like the recent trend of sealed drags in fly reels. IMO nothing beats a quality cork drag. Quality cork is hard to find and sealed drags...
                  Yesterday, 10:16 PM
                • Reply to Sealed Drags vs Cork
                  by Solitario Lupo
                  So many names for reels out you almost had me clueless on this but I understand that you like the cork washers for drags instead of a rubber washers....
                  Today, 06:20 PM
                • Peripheral Vision
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  we all know that most wild life have amazing peripheral vision. But, how about we humans ? How do most of you equate your side vision when on stand or...
                  Today, 07:39 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X