Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of fire starter do you carry in your pack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a.rank
    replied
    butane lighter, sparking rod, birchbark, a small bottle of rubbing alcohol, and cotton balls. the alcohol will take a spark and burn on anything or on its own, but if you soak a cotton ball in it, it will burn even longer that vaseline-covered cottonballs, and with a MUCH taller, hotter flame.

Leave a comment:

• Downhillshot
    replied
    I like to carry my StrikeForce fire starter with me almost everywhere I go as it is always in my day pack. The StrikeForce is a flint and steel on steroids, the thing is huge. And occasionally I carry my fire pistol with me (it just takes more time to get it going right).

Leave a comment:

• zimmerdude
    replied
    a magnesium firestarter

Leave a comment:

• 16countryboy
    replied
    Either a zippo or a swedish fire steel works even when wet

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    I use a Lighter!!!

Leave a comment:

• cjqga1
    replied
    I carry waterproof matches and birch bark. The birch bark works great.

Leave a comment:

• J4huntfish
    replied
    zippo best lighter ever

Leave a comment:

• bamaoutdoorsman93
    replied
    water proof matches, zippo, bic lighter, magnesium bar, lighter fluid and petroleum cotton balls. I go prepared

Leave a comment:

• FETTY
    replied
    i carry a disposable lighter and waterprof mathes and tissue paper

Leave a comment:

• Cheap Shot
    replied
    Obviously some of you have never actually had to USE a flint and steel! I carry a lighter with rubber bands wrapped around the body of it. The rubber bands are made from cutting bicycle inner tube. The rubber keeps it from slipping out of my pocket and doubles as the (waterproof) fire starter. Ever see a tire burn?

Leave a comment:

• debins33
    replied
    Some flint and a knife because you can use flint many times and it lasts way longer than a disposable lighter.

Leave a comment:

• waterdude466
    replied
    I carry a magnesium fire starter and manilla rope in my back pack. The rope has many uses. Cut off a 3" piece and unbraid it. Form into a ball, place tinder on top of it and light with sparks, in very cold weather use magnesium shavings in small pile to help ignition.

Leave a comment:

• muskiemaster
    replied
    I carry water proof matches in a little twist case.

Leave a comment:

• Timmerland
    replied
    I use a "Light My Fire" Swedish flint and steel. It is light weight, small enough to carry in my pocket. Will produce 1000+ strikes.

Leave a comment:

• Buffryan
    replied
    Fat wood and dryer lint only

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad