Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of fire starter do you carry in your pack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of fire starter do you carry in your pack?

What type of fire starter do you carry in your pack?

a small 2oz bottle of paint thinner, matches, a lighter, and tender.

Comment

Bic lighter.

Comment

Disposable lighter.

Comment

35mm film cannister packed with cotton balls covered in vaseline, lighter, waterproof matches and tissue

Comment

I carry a magnesium bar and buck knife.

Comment

magnesium bar & sm vaseline jar will burn 5-10 minutes

Comment

I keep matches flint, coconut husks,and log starters.

Comment

Carry a bic lighter, tinder (even pocket lint will do), as above.

Comment

Flint, steel and a dry bag of tinder.

Comment

I have a tool that has a wood handle you can shave for tinder, magnesium and steel. I also try to carry a ziplock bag of sawdust.

Comment

Flint, magnesium, and a knife.

Comment

lighter

Comment

The vaseline coated cotton balls and a Delta Windmill lighter. I can tell you boys when you hunt in the Rockies late season sometimes your Bics will not fire. If Bics or matches do light the wind will probably blow them out. This will not happen to the Delta which is about $50.00 but worth much more when you really really need a fire. Clothes dryer lint is good starting tender also. Don't forget the fine steel wool and a 9 volt battery method. Just don't store both in the same bag or container unless you intend to burn your fanny pack. When it gets subzero it is nice to have options.

Comment

I’ve hunted in climates ranging from 120 to 72ish degrees below zero and I’ve been sunburned to almost frostbite and I can tell you if you’re looking for something that really works and I mean really works even after being stored wet for a long long time! Well by’ golly get’ya a small jar of good old fashion Vaseline from and a magnesium fire starter stick from your local Wal-Mart. So simple of an operation a GEICO Caveman can do it. Take a 2x2 inch piece of cloth or piece of t-shirt etc and saturate it with Vaseline and scrape a little magnesium on it and hit it with the flint side and now you have instant fire 6 to 10 minutes of flame, now compare that with any other lighter and remember you haven’t really used your fire starting resources at all. I still got the same Vaseline jar in my back pack some 10 years ago and still work as good as the day I put it in.

In subzero degree weather butane lighters will fail and anything else like matches are more like a flash in the pan and they do deteriorate with age!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad