Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s this plant called and is it edible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s this plant called and is it edible?

Live in southern Wisconsin.
    Attached Files

Not a plant. It's a fungus. Plants make their food from the sun through photosynthesis. Fungus feed themselves by consuming other living or dead tissue. They are carnivorous. Like plants, many species of fungus produce toxins to protect themselves against other carnivors (both bacterial and animal). You can often smell it. I doubt this species of fungus is edible. Relatively few are. This particular specimen is a variety of shelf fungus. None of them are edible as far as I know.

Comment

Im nnot sure exactly what those are but I would not try them. I know in pennsylvania we have field mushrooms and morels. There is a mushroom called a destroying angel which very closely resembles the field mushroom. The destroying angel will cause liver and kydney failure. The sickness leading up to death is horrific and irreversible. Ther is a mushroom that closely resembles a morel called a false morel. The only difference is that the morel cap is pitted and the false is not. Im not sure how deadly they are but they will kill you. If you want to hunt mushrooms find morels and get familiar with what your looking for. Im sure the dnr or someone from the state can get you the proper information on edible mushrooms in your state. Eating the wrong mushroom very well could be the last time you do it one way or another. Most edibles do grow on bark those types of shelf mushrooms are poison. Some are very deadly.

Comment

It’s a fungus. A mushroom looks to be a little older if they are dried up. I pick and eat my own mushrooms, best to get yourself a good couple books if your really interested in picking your own. Plus a lot of info on the internet. Looks like there a polyporales family. If you are not sure if they are edible ask someone who knows for sure and don’t take a chance. Some of those types are edible but may not taste that great.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
          It’s a fungus. A mushroom looks to be a little older if they are dried up. I pick and eat my own mushrooms, best to get yourself a good couple books if your really interested in picking your own. Plus a lot of info on the internet. Looks like there a polyporales family. If you are not sure if they are edible ask someone who knows for sure and don’t take a chance. Some of those types are edible but may not taste that great.
          Mushroom is a fungus.

Comment

There are some edible shelf fungus. I guess it’s what you call a shelf fungus. The big one I hear is chicken of the woods. Next I believe it’s called a dryads saddle. Plus more. Just thought I’d share.

Comment

Ya that’s why I called it both.

Comment

There are some edible shelf fungus. I guess it’s what you call a shelf fungus. The big one I hear is chicken of the woods. Next I believe it’s called a dryads saddle. Plus more. Just thought I’d share.
                How could I forget chicken of the woods?

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT View Post
                  Im nnot sure exactly what those are but I would not try them. I know in pennsylvania we have field mushrooms and morels. There is a mushroom called a destroying angel which very closely resembles the field mushroom. The destroying angel will cause liver and kydney failure. The sickness leading up to death is horrific and irreversible. Ther is a mushroom that closely resembles a morel called a false morel. The only difference is that the morel cap is pitted and the false is not. Im not sure how deadly they are but they will kill you. If you want to hunt mushrooms find morels and get familiar with what your looking for. Im sure the dnr or someone from the state can get you the proper information on edible mushrooms in your state. Eating the wrong mushroom very well could be the last time you do it one way or another. Most edibles do grow on bark those types of shelf mushrooms are poison. Some are very deadly.
                  There are a lot of edible mushrooms that grow in PA. You kinda got it backwards as most edible mushrooms do grow on some type of wood. Anything in the fields I wouldn’t trust as to most poisonous do grow in the open fields. Even your morels do grow on some kind of decaying wood. As for identifying morels they are very easy as to the false are hard inside and the none poisonous are hollow.

Comment

Sorry my bad I edited that. And you are right about field mushrooms except one that has a white cap and a kinda weird flavor. I just know them as field mushrooms they are found growing in the yard alot of times. However the one that resembles it isnt so good.

Comment

Education thru books and or videos is your best bet on this subject. There's afew out there that will make you very ill or kill you. There's a few out there that'll make you trip balls too. LOL In between there' absolutely delicious morsels of natures bounty.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad