Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Health Tip for your skin. Stay out of the damn sun or you will get skin cancer. Trust me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
    Skin cancer (melanoma) took out my mom ten years ago this June. It came back fifteen years after a chunk was removed from her hand. Thankfully, the cancer was merciful when it took her. Went to her brain. She more or less slipped away in two months (with chemo and radiation to slow it). No pain until the last few moments.

I am guilty as charged for not using sun blocker as much as I should. It's especially critical when on the water (especially in the late afternoon when sun is low in the sky). When we hit the golden years it's important to keep a weather eye out for ANY changes in the skin. And you guys better be getting the poop chute checked too. It's an embarrassing pain in the arse but just part of life. Grimace and bear it. The Ontario government just sent me an alert about a new poop smear test for colon cancer. I gotta get to clinic and pick up a kit. Free. Socialized health care is wonderful.
    I had the scope last year or maybe 2014. First and only time. Came back clean (pun intended). I didn't have too much trouble with the after effects. I seemed to be pretty much normal by that evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
      Well then I guess I'd better head to a doctor. In my younger days I was always out in the sun and you couldn't make me put a shirt on. I tanned to a lovely hue atleast that what the ladies thought. Then I got married old and fat. But I make sure my little budddies are always covered or slathered with sunscreen.
      Dawg, everybody should get checked out by a Dermatologist.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        Gary, good reminder with summer around the corner. About 5 years ago I went to a Dermatologist for the first time in my life. A life of days and days of boating. I had only a few things to take off, nothing serious. She did warn me to wear the wide brim had and use SPF 25 or higher. Exposure to the rays is cumulative and once a melanoma starts it sends out roots that then get into lymph nodes and organs. I fly R/C planes and we just lost a guy about 50years old from Melanoma.
        In my searching the web for info. on skin cancer I found a guy who died that had the cancer start under his toe nail. Can't remember his name but he was a celebrity. Use the blocker, wear long sleeve shirts with the SPF built in (it is reduced by washing over time), 10AM to 2PM is the worst time to be exposed to the sun, especially around water.
        Protect yourself, your children and your pets. Jim
        OOPS!

Comment

If I'm hunting, it's a camo or orange ball cap. Everything else I wear a brim. Long sleeve shirts, summer and winter. Don't do the SPF stuff. Got a friend who was a champion calf roper. Wore ball caps for years when he wasn't in the arena. Now that he's retired, he wears a full brim constantly. The edges of his ears look like rats have been chewing on them from the cancers he's had removed!

Comment

Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
            I lost my first wife to melanoma. She died at 54. She was not a sunbather. She was a gardener and a fisherperson who was with me in North country quite a bit. A mole on the back of her calf killed her. It was not quick, nor painless. I have had basel cancer removed from my back and chest and some pre-cancers burned off my face. I don't use sunscreen, but at least I stopped smoking 5 years ago.
            Sorry to hear about your loss.

Comment

I see my Dermatologist once a year, he said " I can't make any money on you Italians"
              Nothing sticks on you guys with that Olive Oil Skin, Get-Out! See you next year!!

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                I see my Dermatologist once a year, he said " I can't make any money on you Italians"
                Nothing sticks on you guys with that Olive Oil Skin, Get-Out! See you next year!!
                They guy I flew R/C planes with was Italian, about 50 years old. He was a retired truck driver so not like he was out all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                  BTW, a week before surgery I could not take baby aspirin or I couldn't drink any alcohol beverages.
                  That was another killer. I missed a cold beer after work, a mild glass of wine relaxing or a nice Manhattan now and then.
                  I am taking these giant horse pills twice a day. I need to put this special medicated cream on the wound. Take Tylenol if needed for pain but it doesn't hurt me. Thank God!
                  The Doc said no shaving high or you will cut the stitches.
                  At nine last night the Doc telephoned me to see if I was OK.
                  That was pretty nice of him.
                  I wonder what the bill will be? :-)
                  I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                    Lol my guy said the same thing to me!

Comment

Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
                      I lost my first wife to melanoma. She died at 54. She was not a sunbather. She was a gardener and a fisherperson who was with me in North country quite a bit. A mole on the back of her calf killed her. It was not quick, nor painless. I have had basel cancer removed from my back and chest and some pre-cancers burned off my face. I don't use sunscreen, but at least I stopped smoking 5 years ago.
                      Thank you. She was a wonderful human being who I will allways love.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                        Well then I guess I'd better head to a doctor. In my younger days I was always out in the sun and you couldn't make me put a shirt on. I tanned to a lovely hue atleast that what the ladies thought. Then I got married old and fat. But I make sure my little budddies are always covered or slathered with sunscreen.
                        Look at the two dark moles on the right in Gary's picture. A raised mole with irregular border that also could bleed needs to get checked right away. The ones starting on the left are benign but can progress to the right. Easy to take off when they are early - usually they freeze them with liquid nitrogen and they fall off in a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                          BTW, a week before surgery I could not take baby aspirin or I couldn't drink any alcohol beverages.
                          That was another killer. I missed a cold beer after work, a mild glass of wine relaxing or a nice Manhattan now and then.
                          I am taking these giant horse pills twice a day. I need to put this special medicated cream on the wound. Take Tylenol if needed for pain but it doesn't hurt me. Thank God!
                          The Doc said no shaving high or you will cut the stitches.
                          At nine last night the Doc telephoned me to see if I was OK.
                          That was pretty nice of him.
                          I wonder what the bill will be? :-)
                          Thanks Jim

Comment

Gary - That is a great illustration you posted with this question.
                            I have had the three types on the left, but not the one on the right. Thank God.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How Do I Know ???
                              by jhjimbo
                              You are smoking some bad weed.
                              Today, 03:42 AM
                            • How Do I Know ???
                              by jhjimbo
                              How do I decide who to vote for in the November Election ? Easy, just look around at the squalor in the Cities that have been controlled (raped) by...
                              Yesterday, 12:03 PM
                              by 99explorer
                              To answer Rock Rat's question, I would say that Joe Biden would be the least objectionable candidate of the Democratic group.
                              In fact, he is the
                              Yesterday, 11:55 PM
                              by 99explorer
                              I'll say this for Rock Rat - I may not agree with him, but he has done a very thorough analysis, and has thought things through, which is more than I...
                              Yesterday, 11:32 PM
                              by jhjimbo
                              Rat, You are way off on your characterization of the candidates. In answer to your question there is not one I consider right for the Country at this...
                              Yesterday, 11:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X