Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Health Tip for your skin. Stay out of the damn sun or you will get skin cancer. Trust me!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Health Tip for your skin. Stay out of the damn sun or you will get skin cancer. Trust me!

    New Jersey has pretty beaches and nice boardwalks. It was the place to go during my younger days for hunting beautiful girls in their bathing suits. Ladies came to New Jersey beaches from everywhere. Even hot Canadian girls would come down during those summer months.
    Yesterday, I went through a ninety minute surgery to remove basal skin cancer on my face cheek bone. I went to a Dermotogist who was also a plastic surgeon, who put nine needles in my face to numb half my head. The needles felt like his was putting acid in my face. The aid Tina put a sterial white cloth over my head except for the surgery area. I waited twenty five minutes for the the numbing to take effect. I felt like I was inside a tiny white pup tent for midgets. The Doctor came in and cut my face removing the basal skin cancer. The biopsy sample was taken to a lab across the street to check if he got it all. Tina was applying pressure to my face and swabbing any blood. After another twenty-five minutes the doctor came back in and said everything was OK then stitched me back up. I have a bandage on my face. I can not lift anything and I must keep my head elevated.

    My question to you all the F&S users, was all those hot looking woman I met, the good times in the evening and all the fun on those sunny beaches really worth it ???
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Worth it, probably not, but at least you were doing something good and worthwhile out in the sun, as opposed to someone who gets cancer from an utterly pointless (other than feeding the monkey) activity like smoking. Not that I have any right to stand on a soapbox, considering all the red meat and bacon I eat, and the gallon and a half of coffee I drink every day.

    Comment


    • #3
      So far i have only had the precancer nodes burnt off with nitrogen. Mine was not from chasing hot women, it was from running down someone's
      Problem in the middle East with no hat and no sun screen.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
        Worth it, probably not, but at least you were doing something good and worthwhile out in the sun, as opposed to someone who gets cancer from an utterly pointless (other than feeding the monkey) activity like smoking. Not that I have any right to stand on a soapbox, considering all the red meat and bacon I eat, and the gallon and a half of coffee I drink every day.
        It's becoming apparent the red meat is not an issue as much as the processes meats. All the chemical precooking and chemical smoking that isn't cooking at all but treated with nitrites more and more looks like the cause. All the bacon, sausage hot dogs and lunch meats chemically treated. Interesting facts. 1. The FDA wanted to ban nitrate preservatives decades ago, but lobbiest got to Congress and convinced them to over ride the FDA. Fact #2. The Amish are big consumers of home grown and hunted red meat, naturally smoked meat and vegetables with out pesticides. The have very low rates of cancer. Think about it. Our Govt does it to us again.

        Comment


        • #5
          Gary, good reminder with summer around the corner. About 5 years ago I went to a Dermatologist for the first time in my life. A life of days and days of boating. I had only a few things to take off, nothing serious. She did warn me to wear the wide brim had and use SPF 25 or higher. Exposure to the rays is cumulative and once a melanoma starts it sends out roots that then get into lymph nodes and organs. I fly R/C planes and we just lost a guy about 50years old from Melanoma.
          In my searching the web for info. on skin cancer I found a guy who died that had the cancer start under his toe nail. Can't remember his name but he was a celebrity. Use the blocker, wear long sleeve shirts with the SPF built in (it is reduced by washing over time), 10AM to 2PM is the worst time to be exposed to the sun, especially around water.
          Protect yourself, your children and your pets. Jim

          Comment


          • #6
            I know a woman who was drop dead gorgeous in her youth. Years of sunbathing has made her skin look like an old leather shoe. Yup, skin cancer too.

            Comment


            • #7
              I visit my dermatologist every six months for a check-up, and have been treated for the three mildest types of skin cancer, but, thank God, not the melanoma. Knock wood.
              I had been sunburned many times at the beach when I was a kid, and I can still smell Noxzema whenever I think about it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Skin cancer (melanoma) took out my mom ten years ago this June. It came back fifteen years after a chunk was removed from her hand. Thankfully, the cancer was merciful when it took her. Went to her brain. She more or less slipped away in two months (with chemo and radiation to slow it). No pain until the last few moments.

                I am guilty as charged for not using sun blocker as much as I should. It's especially critical when on the water (especially in the late afternoon when sun is low in the sky). When we hit the golden years it's important to keep a weather eye out for ANY changes in the skin. And you guys better be getting the poop chute checked too. It's an embarrassing pain in the arse but just part of life. Grimace and bear it. The Ontario government just sent me an alert about a new poop smear test for colon cancer. I gotta get to clinic and pick up a kit. Free. Socialized health care is wonderful.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  Gary, good reminder with summer around the corner. About 5 years ago I went to a Dermatologist for the first time in my life. A life of days and days of boating. I had only a few things to take off, nothing serious. She did warn me to wear the wide brim had and use SPF 25 or higher. Exposure to the rays is cumulative and once a melanoma starts it sends out roots that then get into lymph nodes and organs. I fly R/C planes and we just lost a guy about 50years old from Melanoma.
                  In my searching the web for info. on skin cancer I found a guy who died that had the cancer start under his toe nail. Can't remember his name but he was a celebrity. Use the blocker, wear long sleeve shirts with the SPF built in (it is reduced by washing over time), 10AM to 2PM is the worst time to be exposed to the sun, especially around water.
                  Protect yourself, your children and your pets. Jim
                  If you're on open water it seems the worst is late in the afternoon when sun is low. Man, do those rays pound me! I think it's the angle that lets them bounce off more rather than get absorbed in water. And of course any calm day on the water can be murder.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                    Gary, good reminder with summer around the corner. About 5 years ago I went to a Dermatologist for the first time in my life. A life of days and days of boating. I had only a few things to take off, nothing serious. She did warn me to wear the wide brim had and use SPF 25 or higher. Exposure to the rays is cumulative and once a melanoma starts it sends out roots that then get into lymph nodes and organs. I fly R/C planes and we just lost a guy about 50years old from Melanoma.
                    In my searching the web for info. on skin cancer I found a guy who died that had the cancer start under his toe nail. Can't remember his name but he was a celebrity. Use the blocker, wear long sleeve shirts with the SPF built in (it is reduced by washing over time), 10AM to 2PM is the worst time to be exposed to the sun, especially around water.
                    Protect yourself, your children and your pets. Jim
                    Evening fishing in Ak and Yukon Territory is tops for sucking in the good rays.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I lost my first wife to melanoma. She died at 54. She was not a sunbather. She was a gardener and a fisherperson who was with me in North country quite a bit. A mole on the back of her calf killed her. It was not quick, nor painless. I have had basel cancer removed from my back and chest and some pre-cancers burned off my face. I don't use sunscreen, but at least I stopped smoking 5 years ago.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                        Skin cancer (melanoma) took out my mom ten years ago this June. It came back fifteen years after a chunk was removed from her hand. Thankfully, the cancer was merciful when it took her. Went to her brain. She more or less slipped away in two months (with chemo and radiation to slow it). No pain until the last few moments.

                        I am guilty as charged for not using sun blocker as much as I should. It's especially critical when on the water (especially in the late afternoon when sun is low in the sky). When we hit the golden years it's important to keep a weather eye out for ANY changes in the skin. And you guys better be getting the poop chute checked too. It's an embarrassing pain in the arse but just part of life. Grimace and bear it. The Ontario government just sent me an alert about a new poop smear test for colon cancer. I gotta get to clinic and pick up a kit. Free. Socialized health care is wonderful.
                        Honk, I believe the test kit is for occult blood, not specifically for cancer. In other words you could have a polyp and if it is not bleeding, you would not know. Best is the full exam with the scope. I was awake and watched on the TV through the entire procedure. Worst part for me was drinking the solution. Takes a couple days to get back to normal after the clean out.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                          Worth it, probably not, but at least you were doing something good and worthwhile out in the sun, as opposed to someone who gets cancer from an utterly pointless (other than feeding the monkey) activity like smoking. Not that I have any right to stand on a soapbox, considering all the red meat and bacon I eat, and the gallon and a half of coffee I drink every day.
                          Meat is great if it's free range venison. I just came across a line of Angus Beef that is fed flax seed. It has way lower cholesterol and 3 X the Omega 3's.
                          If I remember the site is Simply-Essentials.com
                          I eat processed meats, venison, salmon but no bacon and little sausage. Eggs once a week. 2 cups coffee per AM then decaff after that. Lots of brussel sprouts, cabbage, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic, etc.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Well then I guess I'd better head to a doctor. In my younger days I was always out in the sun and you couldn't make me put a shirt on. I tanned to a lovely hue atleast that what the ladies thought. Then I got married old and fat. But I make sure my little budddies are always covered or slathered with sunscreen.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              BTW, a week before surgery I could not take baby aspirin or I couldn't drink any alcohol beverages.
                              That was another killer. I missed a cold beer after work, a mild glass of wine relaxing or a nice Manhattan now and then.
                              I am taking these giant horse pills twice a day. I need to put this special medicated cream on the wound. Take Tylenol if needed for pain but it doesn't hurt me. Thank God!
                              The Doc said no shaving high or you will cut the stitches.
                              At nine last night the Doc telephoned me to see if I was OK.
                              That was pretty nice of him.
                              I wonder what the bill will be? :-)

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                              Right Rail 1

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Reply to How Many Died
                                by CD2
                                Drug addicts are like drowning people.
                                They will probably pull you under if you get close to try and save them.
                                They are pulling society down...
                                Today, 02:38 AM
                              • How Many Died
                                by jhjimbo
                                On Tucker Carlson last night he said 750,000 died from Opioid overdose in a ten year period. More then WW I, WW II, Korea, Vietnam, combined.
                                ...
                                01-16-2020, 11:04 AM
                              • Reply to How Many Died
                                by CD2
                                You are right, back in the day, 30 yrs or so ago, a guy could be a bit of a dumbarse and clean himself up, get a factory job or education and be civilized/normal....
                                Today, 02:36 AM
                              • Reply to How Many Died
                                by CD2
                                Kids today, most of them, have way over inflated egos.
                                Mommy and daddy have told them they're special, when they aren't.
                                Social media warps...
                                Today, 02:22 AM
                              • Reply to How Many Died
                                by CD2
                                Blue collar town.
                                Urbans and hillbillies (democrats).
                                There are some good kids.
                                But the public school system has mostly liberal teachers/admins...
                                Today, 02:18 AM

                              Right Rail 3

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X