Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were you ever printed inside a newspaper, magazine or on TV News for anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were you ever printed inside a newspaper, magazine or on TV News for anything?

A large fish caught, a game animal harvest, a town meeting or anything else?
    Attached Files

I made the local papers from time to time during my athletic days. Also got into the paper as being one of those crazy fans that painted their chests. I was in high school at the time and a bunch of us guys painted our chests and backs and then ripped off our shirts and stood up yelling like fools during the awards ceremony of a state championship. The crowd found it really funny and the papers loved it, my coach did not.

Comment

Yes, the local rag published a few of the first deer of the season. I don't have any of the clips left.

Comment

LOL!
        Many moons back! 1974? 1975? I'm sitting at my loading bench, looking at a picture published in my hometown paper of the three of us with our Colorado mulies.

Comment

Gary my step father has been in the newspaper business his entire professional career. He ran the newspaper in the town I grew up in. And now owns 2 newspapers of his own. So I've been in the paper more than I care to count. Someone always showed up when my class at school was doing something. And he writes a weekly column that runs in roughly 75 papers. And I've been a source of column material for years. It's old hat for me.

Comment

Originally posted by MNFisher View Post
            I made the local papers from time to time during my athletic days. Also got into the paper as being one of those crazy fans that painted their chests. I was in high school at the time and a bunch of us guys painted our chests and backs and then ripped off our shirts and stood up yelling like fools during the awards ceremony of a state championship. The crowd found it really funny and the papers loved it, my coach did not.
            High school basketball cheering section in the stands was a total blast. Some nitwit in our stands lite a cherry bomb and dropped under the stands.
            It blew up loud and the basketball game stopped. The High School Principle walked over to the bleachers and started pointing at people calling their names out. "I want you, you and you down to the cafeteria immediately". He selected twenty boys from the stands and we were all sitting in different spots on the bleachers. The town detective question each person in a closed teacher conference room.
            The principle pointed toward me about ten rows up and I ignore him as he called other names. He yelled out "Let's go Devine!"
            We all. missed the four quarter. It pissed me off and they never caught the cherry bomber. It was probably was one of the girls.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              Yes, the local rag published a few of the first deer of the season. I don't have any of the clips left.
              My mother bought four newspapers and had the photo and write up laminated for each of us.

Comment

My kids win all sorts of scholastic and civic awards, so I get mentioned as a parent LOL.

Comment

I think my first foray into the press was my first bull elk, published about 1 November 1971. See attached photo.

Most recent published piece was just two days ago. I wrote a rather lengthy evaluation of the bizarre performance to date of America's illustrious newly elected Buffoon-in-Chief and his pathetic entourage (including the other two Stooges: his press secretary and "dumb blonde" presidential aid Conway). Theme was though I'm a US citizen, please don't identify me with that bunch. Not all Americans are fools (supported by the fact that the majority of us voted rationally). I was surprised the editor chose to publish the entire thing! Must have taken nearly half a page of the Saturday edition which up here is the primary sheet of the week. I didn't know the piece made the paper till yesterday when someone at church told me. Generally I rarely purchase the local paper (don't like the waste of wood and dealing with recycling mess) and instead usually read a copy left at the donut shop when I pick up my morning coffee.

Years ago at the height of the Bre-X scandal the same paper published a full page article I wrote on historic mining frauds in this region. I have also had stuff published in Canadian Geographic and peer reviewed professional journals. Come to think of it, I can't recall ever submitting anything that wasn't printed. But I don't make a lot of effort to get in print. That may change, however. My crystal ball indicates there'll be much opportunity for humorous political commentary over the next four years. Yep, the Boy President should keep a lot of writers busy! I predict media shares will be booming on Wall Street ... though everything else will probably go in the toilet.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I usually hunt a couple counties from home, so check in results don't get mentioned in my local paper. Now we have on-line check in.

Miss the local check in as bait shops, the long lines at the opener.............the BS sessions, seeing who got what, the coffee................good times.

The old way wasn't as convenient, but it offered more richness to the hunt IMHO.

Comment

I was interviewed on TV once by a roving reporter in the parking lot of a gun shop. The photographer was off to one side and I paid little attention to him. The reporter asked me questions about politics and gun-related issues, and I didn't know the camera was rolling as I answered in a conversational mode. When we were finished, he told me to watch the news on a certain channel that evening, and sure enough, there I was.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                        I think my first foray into the press was my first bull elk, published about 1 November 1971. See attached photo.

Most recent published piece was just two days ago. I wrote a rather lengthy evaluation of the bizarre performance to date of America's illustrious newly elected Buffoon-in-Chief and his pathetic entourage (including the other two Stooges: his press secretary and "dumb blonde" presidential aid Conway). Theme was though I'm a US citizen, please don't identify me with that bunch. Not all Americans are fools (supported by the fact that the majority of us voted rationally). I was surprised the editor chose to publish the entire thing! Must have taken nearly half a page of the Saturday edition which up here is the primary sheet of the week. I didn't know the piece made the paper till yesterday when someone at church told me. Generally I rarely purchase the local paper (don't like the waste of wood and dealing with recycling mess) and instead usually read a copy left at the donut shop when I pick up my morning coffee.

Years ago at the height of the Bre-X scandal the same paper published a full page article I wrote on historic mining frauds in this region. I have also had stuff published in Canadian Geographic and peer reviewed professional journals. Come to think of it, I can't recall ever submitting anything that wasn't printed. But I don't make a lot of effort to get in print. That may change, however. My crystal ball indicates there'll be much opportunity for humorous political commentary over the next four years. Yep, the Boy President should keep a lot of writers busy! I predict media shares will be booming on Wall Street ... though everything else will probably go in the toilet.
                        Hell, you take half a page to tell anything. 3/4 if it's Canadian superiority.

Comment

Through pure dumb luck I have have been in local newspapers and the local nightly news several times. While I was a senior in high school I made it on the Discovery Channel, and in College I made it on the Disney Channel. Most recently I have been on ESPN a few times because of a family member's athletic achievements. I have made it into the media a bunch of times, and usually it is dumb luck. Only once (Disney Channel) was I purposely on tv. Every other time I am with someone being interviewed or they are filming at my work. I always laugh when I see myself on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Yes, being literate does have its perks.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                              Hello Friends. About 10-12 years ago I got a two sentence "atta-boy" in the outdoor column of the San Francisco Chronicle for helping evacuate a Wilderness hiker who was having serious convulsions. I basically sat around a campfire all night with him and his girlfriend until real help arrived, and, man I was really glad when it got there.

Turned out the young guy had altitude sickness coupled with some kind of "recreational drug" use. There was probably a lession to be learned in there somewhere....

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad