Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't want to sound racist but I just heard Muslims do not use toilet paper. Is this true or false?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    Big G, the "story" I heard was...years back, water was such a precious commodity in the desert that it wasn't used for personal hygiene purpose. Paper was just that much less water one could carry.
    A person used their "left" hand for such matters. You can rub your hands just pretty darn clean in loose sand.
    Because of the "left hand purpose", to offer your left hand to shake or in greeting was considered an insult and not taken lightly.
    This custom wasn't so much "Muslim" as it was desert bound Arab.
    True? I dunno! Just what I've heard.
    Mr. David P goes over there and commences greeting people, being a lefty, sounds like that would make for a whole new level of gunnuts blogs

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
      I once heard a muslim gentleman make a pretty good argument for the process.
      "If you had $#!! on your face would you wash it off, or would you spread it around with paper?"
      It was hard to disagree with.
      I don't shove food in my arse.
      That's why I shower every night! To wash my butt!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
        Big G, the "story" I heard was...years back, water was such a precious commodity in the desert that it wasn't used for personal hygiene purpose. Paper was just that much less water one could carry.
        A person used their "left" hand for such matters. You can rub your hands just pretty darn clean in loose sand.
        Because of the "left hand purpose", to offer your left hand to shake or in greeting was considered an insult and not taken lightly.
        This custom wasn't so much "Muslim" as it was desert bound Arab.
        True? I dunno! Just what I've heard.
        Big G. Go back and read Dougfir's last post. It isn't a "Muslim" thing. Has nothing to do with religion (I think? Who knows?) and everything to do with geographic location. All desert dwellers aren't Arabs. All Arabs aren't Muslim.
        You know, all thumbs are fingers but all fingers aren't thumbs! LOL!

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
          Gary, I think it's important to recognize that "Muslim" just refers to someone's religion. There are probably Muslims who poop in a hole and wipe with their hands, or some other bit of debris. There are also Muslims who poop in a toilet, wipe with Charmin and then ask their spouse to go round to the corner store and buy more because they're low. There are probably others who use a bidet. The differences have much more to do with their geographic location, the culture that they live in and their socio-economic status, than with their religion, though there may be sects that have religious rules around it.
          Doug, "When in Rome, do as the Romans". "Meaning when visiting a foreign land, follow the customs of those who live in it. It can also mean that when you are in an unfamiliar situation, you should follow the lead of those who know the ropes."

          When I was a kid I took a dump while swimming in a Delaware River tributary. My brother and I were diving for golf balls at the Shawnee County Club Par Three. The water current wash all the evidence away. I guess you could call that a Muslim/Arab water washing?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
            I once heard a muslim gentleman make a pretty good argument for the process.
            "If you had $#!! on your face would you wash it off, or would you spread it around with paper?"
            It was hard to disagree with.
            Bubba, use your left hand in the shower, when cleaning down there.
            LOL

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
              I once heard a muslim gentleman make a pretty good argument for the process.
              "If you had $#!! on your face would you wash it off, or would you spread it around with paper?"
              It was hard to disagree with.
              Bubba tmi as Gary explained! Lol+1 to both!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                I once heard a muslim gentleman make a pretty good argument for the process.
                "If you had $#!! on your face would you wash it off, or would you spread it around with paper?"
                It was hard to disagree with.
                Big G, a wash rag and hot soapy water, what dif does it make WHICH hand you use?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Gary I'd think most the world uses water. Certainly all of SEAsia that I've seen. Some also shower twice or more a day so.... In general I'd think if the toilet is a squatter things are still old style.

                  I've spent time in villages without toilets, pigs eat it.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                    I once heard a muslim gentleman make a pretty good argument for the process.
                    "If you had $#!! on your face would you wash it off, or would you spread it around with paper?"
                    It was hard to disagree with.
                    For the benefit of the Muslim gentleman that Jcarlin spoke with, toilet paper manufacturers should include instructions with each roll of toilet paper explaining that it is not to be used to spread the stuff around, but to wipe it away and toss the paper.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
                      Gary, I think it's important to recognize that "Muslim" just refers to someone's religion. There are probably Muslims who poop in a hole and wipe with their hands, or some other bit of debris. There are also Muslims who poop in a toilet, wipe with Charmin and then ask their spouse to go round to the corner store and buy more because they're low. There are probably others who use a bidet. The differences have much more to do with their geographic location, the culture that they live in and their socio-economic status, than with their religion, though there may be sects that have religious rules around it.
                      So you were the one.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Grazing Bit View Post
                        It's Islamic law to wash your bits off with water after you go. Prophet boy was probably trying push a rule that was hygenic for the time, but he didn't anticipate cleaner methods like toilet paper. I bet a real prophet could have. And I doubt they have many wide leaves in the middle east, either. It's also Islamic law to wash your hands when you're done, so that's a slight bit of comfort.
                        The most contaminated place in the men's room is the door handle on the way out.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I think they are permitted to use toilet paper made for the purpose, but no other paper, like the Sears Roebuck catalog, much less a piece of corn cob:-)

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                            I think they are permitted to use toilet paper made for the purpose, but no other paper, like the Sears Roebuck catalog, much less a piece of corn cob:-)
                            Now that's rough!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by RockySquirrel View Post
                              Uh. Maybe in some dirt poor areas. I lived in Kuwait and Bahrain for a time. Admitted I stayed in most Western areas, but most hotels had a bidet along side the commode. I have seen the hole squat thing at some places and that very stange backward commode that i always believed was designed to be mounted facing the wall. I have seen poorer Arabs eating with their right hands (no utensil). I have also eaten that lamb tortilla like thing (can't remember the name ) from an Arab street vendor that made me so sick I thought I was gonna die. I suspected sanitation issues were involved. I think much of Islam is still stuck in the 17th century.
                              Shawarma is your Middle Eastern ptomaine taco. Probably the spoiled yogurt sauce that got you. Happened to me in Bahrain, too.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I think I would rather discuss our Government and how it affects us rather than what hand a Muslim wipes his ass with. This is a rapidly degrading thread.

                                Comment

                                Welcome!

                                Collapse

                                Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                                If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                                And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                                Right Rail 1

                                Collapse

                                Top Active Users

                                Collapse

                                There are no top active users.

                                Right Rail 2

                                Collapse

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                • Reply to How Do I Know ???
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  You are smoking some bad weed.
                                  Today, 03:42 AM
                                • How Do I Know ???
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  How do I decide who to vote for in the November Election ? Easy, just look around at the squalor in the Cities that have been controlled (raped) by...
                                  Yesterday, 12:03 PM
                                • Reply to How Do I Know ???
                                  by 99explorer
                                  To answer Rock Rat's question, I would say that Joe Biden would be the least objectionable candidate of the Democratic group.
                                  In fact, he is the
                                  ...
                                  Yesterday, 11:55 PM
                                • Reply to How Do I Know ???
                                  by 99explorer
                                  I'll say this for Rock Rat - I may not agree with him, but he has done a very thorough analysis, and has thought things through, which is more than I...
                                  Yesterday, 11:32 PM
                                • Reply to How Do I Know ???
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Rat, You are way off on your characterization of the candidates. In answer to your question there is not one I consider right for the Country at this...
                                  Yesterday, 11:11 PM

                                Right Rail 3

                                Collapse

                                Footer Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X