Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't want to sound racist but I just heard Muslims do not use toilet paper. Is this true or false?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want to sound racist but I just heard Muslims do not use toilet paper. Is this true or false?

I was told yesterday, they use their hands with a pot of water. What would they do at a gas station restroom?
    Place their butt over the front of the sink and turn the faucet on?
    What's wrong with toilet paper?
    Attached Files

Jimbo, I know the muslim's head is photoshop in the photo, but my questions still stand.

Comment

I had never met a Muslim until I joined the Marines, and the ones I've met all used toilet paper. I heard that not long ago as well, can't attest to the overall legitimacy.

Comment

It's Islamic law to wash your bits off with water after you go. Prophet boy was probably trying push a rule that was hygenic for the time, but he didn't anticipate cleaner methods like toilet paper. I bet a real prophet could have. And I doubt they have many wide leaves in the middle east, either. It's also Islamic law to wash your hands when you're done, so that's a slight bit of comfort.

Comment

Big G, the "story" I heard was...years back, water was such a precious commodity in the desert that it wasn't used for personal hygiene purpose. Paper was just that much less water one could carry.
          A person used their "left" hand for such matters. You can rub your hands just pretty darn clean in loose sand.
          Because of the "left hand purpose", to offer your left hand to shake or in greeting was considered an insult and not taken lightly.
          This custom wasn't so much "Muslim" as it was desert bound Arab.
          True? I dunno! Just what I've heard.

Comment

In the middle east the traditional 'toilet' is a flat porcelain about 3' square with about a 4" hole in the center and flush with the floor we called 'bomb sites'. The object is to get everything down the hole. There is no trap on this so rather smelly. No sitting, just squat. No flushing, you had to hit the hole or there was a big mess. When finished there is usually a faucet on the wall with a towel hanging there. Rinse the dirty hand with cold water and dry on the reusable towel that everybody else used. That is what you found in gas stations when you traveled. Apartments in bigger Cities would have this plus a typical Western type toilet.
            Muslims don't eat with the hand they wipe with.
            For being ancient civilizations they are still in many ways living in the stone age.
            Our standard travel complement included Tang, bottled water and toilet paper.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              In the middle east the traditional 'toilet' is a flat porcelain about 3' square with about a 4" hole in the center and flush with the floor we called 'bomb sites'. The object is to get everything down the hole. There is no trap on this so rather smelly. No sitting, just squat. No flushing, you had to hit the hole or there was a big mess. When finished there is usually a faucet on the wall with a towel hanging there. Rinse the dirty hand with cold water and dry on the reusable towel that everybody else used. That is what you found in gas stations when you traveled. Apartments in bigger Cities would have this plus a typical Western type toilet.
              For being ancient civilizations they are still in many ways living in the stone age.
              If I were out of toilet paper I would rather use leaves but there are not trees in the desert. Or any water to use
              like 1stBubba stated. It must be a little stinky over there in the Arab countries. ;-))

Comment

Uh. Maybe in some dirt poor areas. I lived in Kuwait and Bahrain for a time. Admitted I stayed in most Western areas, but most hotels had a bidet along side the commode. I have seen the hole squat thing at some places and that very stange backward commode that i always believed was designed to be mounted facing the wall. I have seen poorer Arabs eating with their right hands (no utensil). I have also eaten that lamb tortilla like thing (can't remember the name ) from an Arab street vendor that made me so sick I thought I was gonna die. I suspected sanitation issues were involved. I think much of Islam is still stuck in the 17th century.

Comment

Originally posted by RockySquirrel View Post
                  Uh. Maybe in some dirt poor areas. I lived in Kuwait and Bahrain for a time. Admitted I stayed in most Western areas, but most hotels had a bidet along side the commode. I have seen the hole squat thing at some places and that very stange backward commode that i always believed was designed to be mounted facing the wall. I have seen poorer Arabs eating with their right hands (no utensil). I have also eaten that lamb tortilla like thing (can't remember the name ) from an Arab street vendor that made me so sick I thought I was gonna die. I suspected sanitation issues were involved. I think much of Islam is still stuck in the 17th century.
                  Crapping over a hole sounds similar to a outhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                    Big G, the "story" I heard was...years back, water was such a precious commodity in the desert that it wasn't used for personal hygiene purpose. Paper was just that much less water one could carry.
                    A person used their "left" hand for such matters. You can rub your hands just pretty darn clean in loose sand.
                    Because of the "left hand purpose", to offer your left hand to shake or in greeting was considered an insult and not taken lightly.
                    This custom wasn't so much "Muslim" as it was desert bound Arab.
                    True? I dunno! Just what I've heard.
                    Good tip. Stay away from the left hands on Muslims. :-))

Comment

Originally posted by Grazing Bit View Post
                      It's Islamic law to wash your bits off with water after you go. Prophet boy was probably trying push a rule that was hygenic for the time, but he didn't anticipate cleaner methods like toilet paper. I bet a real prophet could have. And I doubt they have many wide leaves in the middle east, either. It's also Islamic law to wash your hands when you're done, so that's a slight bit of comfort.
                      Hey GB, I hope they use a bar of soap? LOL Its amazing how many Americans use the men's room without washing.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                        I've never been outside the U.S. except a couple of excursions to Mexico many, many moons back!
                        I understand that "personal hygiene" is a tad different in most Third World countries.
                        Body odor is just a fact of life and isn't frowned upon.
                        Stan hired a guy that was an absolute whiz electrician but would make your eyes water at personal distance.
                        Stan stopped on the way home and bought him a deodorant stick and told him if he didn't use it he would fire him! LOL!
                        The rest of the crew was about ready to apply a "G.I. shower"!

Comment

Originally posted by RockySquirrel View Post
                          Gary, you have to squat , nothing to sit on.

Rocky, I ate from a corner street stand for a month before someone asked me why I thought there were never any dogs around the stand.

Comment

I once heard a muslim gentleman make a pretty good argument for the process.
                            "If you had $#!! on your face would you wash it off, or would you spread it around with paper?"
                            It was hard to disagree with.

Comment

Gary, I think it's important to recognize that "Muslim" just refers to someone's religion. There are probably Muslims who poop in a hole and wipe with their hands, or some other bit of debris. There are also Muslims who poop in a toilet, wipe with Charmin and then ask their spouse to go round to the corner store and buy more because they're low. There are probably others who use a bidet. The differences have much more to do with their geographic location, the culture that they live in and their socio-economic status, than with their religion, though there may be sects that have religious rules around it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad