Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The subject is Underwear and not the ictoria Secrets kind. I am packing for deer season and camping. 7 days. I have unused polypropylene from my last adventure in Afghanistan (a bunch of it) and some polyester and Marino wool blend I got at Costco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The subject is Underwear and not the ictoria Secrets kind. I am packing for deer season and camping. 7 days. I have unused polypropylene from my last adventure in Afghanistan (a bunch of it) and some polyester and Marino wool blend I got at Costco

The subject is Underwear and not the ictoria Secrets kind. I am packing for deer season and camping. 7 days. I have unused polypropylene from my last adventure in Afghanistan (a bunch of it) and some polyester and Marino wool blend I got at Costco last year. Expect temperature lows between mid to high 30 and low 40. Highs could be and fall temp. Which ones should I pack?

I guess the real question is whether or not you are backpacking in or camping out of a truck or trailer? Either way, my polypro's have never let me down as a baselayer. If you are backpacking and weight is a concern, I'd say take the polypro, a hoodie, and a good goretex. You might not be comfortable but you won't die. If you are camping out of a truck or trailer you have no excuse to not take the entire closet to stay comfortable!

Comment

The temps you mention are not severe enough for me to take anything special - cotton BVD's would work for me. One exception is if you are going to do a lot of walking when temp is hot, I may go for some UA polypro.

Comment

If your lows are around freezing you don't have to do anything too special. I would recommend wearing whichever is most comfortable.

Throw on a pair of drawers, and if you get cold easy put on a compression layer over them.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          The temps you mention are not severe enough for me to take anything special - cotton BVD's would work for me. One exception is if you are going to do a lot of walking when temp is hot, I may go for some UA polypro.
          Great minds think a like I didn't even see that you had beat me to it.

Comment

Would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. My cold weather and rain bag stays in my truck year 'round.

Comment

I bought warm insulated jump suit long Johns from Cabalas.
              The long johns are thin but very warm.
              They are too warm for New Jersey.
              I used them deer hunting in Canada when it drops below zero.

Attached Files

Comment

I'm from Michigan and I am used to cold weather, I would say it depends a lot on if you are a warmer than usual person or not.
                If you will be active, polypro, if you are not as hot blooded and will be sitting for more than 3 hours, I'd want the wool.
                Take both and play it by ear. You can always take it off.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd bother for those temperatures, but it won't take up much room whichever you chose so won't do any harm to have it. I have polypro top and bottom which have given years of service, and they are a nice lightweight option, the only real downside of which being that they'll be a bit "ripe" after a few days.

I'm not keen on wool, mainly because it makes me itch, but that might just be me. I also stay well clear of cotton - it tends to hold sweat, causing chafing and chilling against the skin when you stop.

Probably my favourite of all, nowadays, are some Medalist "Silvermax" t-shirts, of which I have several. I'm not sure these are made any more, but they have been great and don't end up stinking like polypro is apt to do after a few days wear. I also have some Sitka lightweight long johns made of a similar material, which are very similar in performance.

Given what you have on hand though, I'd happily take the polypro, just in case, and try to stay upwind of myself, my mates, and of course any game.

Comment

Both

Comment

JMO~ 30* & 40* is not that Cold, I would say use your Sand Box Undies, they worked there and can work here!

Comment

I don't understand why you ruled out sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                          If your lows are around freezing you don't have to do anything too special. I would recommend wearing whichever is most comfortable.

Throw on a pair of drawers, and if you get cold easy put on a compression layer over them.
                          Did I ever tell the story about buying some UnderArmor on the internet for a very good price. Never really looked close at them until I was hunting in 10deg and had to pee. There was no freakin' fly. Had to drop everything just to pee. LOL I don't know if I missed it in the description of if it was not mentioned - lesson learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post

LMAO! Nope that's my first time hearing it. Had me cracking up! I am sorry that you had to go thru that but it's pretty funny. I'll keep it in mind if I seen any UA that the price looks too good to be true.

Comment

Rocky;
                              You never said anything about the wind.
                              If you expect wind even 5-10 mph, go with the polypro, I find that it does better over a wide temperature range too.
                              I too have both of those options available to me, I just tried the Costco Merlino wool variety on a Montana hunt and was very pleased with the performance. The temps were in the 30's to 50's but when the wind got crankin' (20+ knots) I found it to be lacking, I was wishing I had my Gore-Tex pants too.

AKX

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to "A little rebellion...."
                                by labrador12
                                The NY Post's daily article on Hunter and Hunter's dad's treasonous business dealings with assorted international thugs is interesting. The piece brings...
                                Today, 06:05 PM
                              • "A little rebellion...."
                                by FirstBubba
                                ...now and then is a good thing!"

This ought set off Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Stupid! LOL!
                                --------‐‐-------------------------------...
                                08-13-2022, 12:45 PM
                              • The Culture of Lying
                                by jhjimbo
                                The culture of lying is epidemic in Washington, D.C. and the rest of the Country. How did this get started? Was it Richard Nixon ? The crooked main...
                                Today, 08:16 AM
                              • Reply to The Culture of Lying
                                by Pmacc60
                                Talk about a non sequitur !...
                                Today, 05:46 PM
                              • Reply to "A little rebellion...."
                                by 99explorer
                                You jokers are just too clever by half.
                                When the Teflon Don comes up for sentencing, he can tell the judge it was just a little rebellion, inspired...
                                Today, 05:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X