Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to start a fire in a hurry in the outdoors without matches etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to start a fire in a hurry in the outdoors without matches etc.

What is the best way to start a fire in a hurry in the outdoors without matches etc.

Bic/Zippo lighter.(Sorry it was to easy. LOL).
    I'd say flint/striker, or other type of "fire starter" kit on the mkt. now.
    Hope this helps. Sorry again, could'nt help myself.

Comment

Flamethrower...

Comment

I know some campers that carry flares to get their fire started in a hurry.

Gets 'em hot too!

Comment

flint you can get it at wal mart in the camping area

Comment

without flint,matches,lighters,flamethrowers,flares,fire from the sun,or spontanious combustion.

Comment

i carry a fint and magnesium block and i carry two small (PLASTIC) jars one filled with potassium permanganate and one with glycerin a small amount of potassium permanganate and a few drops glycerin on top of it wait a few seconds and poof fire no striking needed . but be careful with the potassium permanganate it is an oxidizer and and can burn skin or eyes . both can be bought online
              this

Comment

Saw a guy use a tampon on Expedition Africa on TV, Worked good, though why he had a tampon is a question.

Comment

I take a plastic cup full of gas and sit it on top of the wood then light the top. As the fuel burns the side fuel will dribble down the side at the right amount and light the wood. It’s the safest way to start a fire with gas etc.

Looking for something that really works and I mean really works even after being stored wet for a long long time! Well by’golly get’ya a small jar of good old fashion Vaseline from and a magnesium fire starter stick from your local Wal-Mart. So simple of an operation A caveman can do it. Take a 2x2 inch piece of cloth and saturate it with Vaseline and scrape a little magnesium on it and hit it with the flint side and now you have instant fire 6 to 10 minutes of flame, now compare that with any other lighter and remember you haven’t really used your fire starting resources at all. I still got the same Vaseline jar in my back pack some 10 years ago and still work as good as the day I put it in.

Comment

magnesium starter stick,a magnafing glass and sun.

Comment

AP stole my answer. Everyone should carry one in the outdoors.

Comment

a flame thrower

Comment

There are ways to do it. Get a "Boy Scout Handbook", or several types of "survival guides" can tell you how.

Comment

flint and magnesium block, also if your hunting take the rubber piece off the butt of your gun, drill a small hole, shove some matches in there with a few cotton balls and you wont have to worry about not packing them in your survival kit.

Comment

I have tried many different ways. Flint and steel, fire piston, firebow, etc.. The way I have found the easiest is flint and steel with some dryer lint. I store some dryer lint in a sip-loc bag, to keep it dry. With some dry tinder around it I throw a spark into it. It will catch on the first or second time. Flint and steels are not to expensive.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad