Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I read in a recent issue how to make a rifle sling out of 550 cord, now that i have the materials i cant find my mag. has anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read in a recent issue how to make a rifle sling out of 550 cord, now that i have the materials i cant find my mag. has anyone

I read in a recent issue how to make a rifle sling out of 550 cord, now that i have the materials i cant find my mag. has anyone tried it and can someone help me find the article online?

I do not know but rifle slings are cheap, so I would just buy one. But may be fun to make one however. Good Luck

Comment

huntcamp is right. Real cheap to buy but them are MANY use's for 550 cord. I keep some in my daypack for emergencys.

Comment

Next time I see someone with one here I will ask how they made it. I am in Iraq right now. I have seen a couple 550 cord slings.

Comment

I saw that too and thought it was cool. If you ever got in a real survival situation in the wild, the cord would surely be useful. Looks like a lot of work! If anyone knows of a how-to link, please post it. thanks. I might give it a try.

Comment

Hey, I might still have the Mag that one was in, if i do, Ill scan it and post (Or E-mail) the pic to anyone that wants it.

Comment

Hey, I might still have the Mag that one was in, if i do, Ill scan it and post (Or E-mail) the pic to anyone that wants it.

Comment

I just used this technique to make a 1-man carrying strap for my kayak. It worked great.

It definitely took a while, but I did it over a couple of nights while I was watching TV. I usually watch an hour or two of TV a night, so I figure it actually didn't take up any of my time.

I agree with the other guys, good rifle slings can be had fairly cheap. So I probably wouldn't undertake this project solely as a cost saving measure. (though, in my case, I saved about $50)

However, If you're like me and you like making things and you like using things that you've made. Then that along with having the cord around in a wilderness survival situation is plenty of reason to take on the project.

(the instructions are on page 34 of the June 2009 issue if you just wanted to pick one up at a news stand)

Comment

Thanks for the input! I was just wandering mainly how much to start with between the rings (1 1/4" rings)3ft 4 ft etc for shrinkage once you start to weave it. I really dont want to do it then have to take it apart to adjust it a bunch! I already have plenty of slings but saw the article and thought it looked cool materials only cost about 15 bucks made the survival knife in the same issue came out nice!

Comment

Pardon me, but the bewildered part of me has to ask "why?". Is this a "just to say I can do it" thing or does it serve a higher purpose?

Comment

well theres a few reasons
                      1. for the hell of it
                      2. because i wanna
                      3. it looked cool
                      4. and it serves as a survival tool if needed
                      5. y not?(what else am i gonna do when im not huntin)
                      as you can see these are perfectly good reasons to do it, dont ya think?

Comment

Look up cobra knot on the web. There's a lot of things you can make along with a rifle sling; I have long arms, so I made a bracelet out of a plastic fastener and about 20 feet of 3mm rope (bought at a climbing store)—keeps my sleeves from pulling back in the winter, and is some extra rope if I ever need it.

Comment

i saw that too.It was great,because you could unravel it in an emergency and have several feet of rope handy,instead of carrying along extra. I saw it in an old issue at library.Will look for you.Oh...it looked cool too.

Comment

I have made several now. There are several reasons to make your own. The main reason I started was because I am an EMT/Firefighter and I know that in an emergency you need all the resources you can find. Having an extra 50ft. of rope with you can always help in an emergency. Also I help teach hunter ed. and I am making some slings to give away in those classes. You can make them very cheap, and in many different colors. I have made pink, yellow, forest green, olive drab green, black and brown. I have had several requests from buddies that have seen them of course and now am building some for them, as well as a fund raiser here at work. I would recommend you use only 1 1/4" swivels. They are the same price and wider is better for these slings. Also when you get all of your loops in place make sure they are not real tight (this will cause shrinkage) and make them 1-2 inches longer than you want the final product to be if you weave the tails in tight. If you weave in rather loosely it will still hold and it will not change your length much. We have a surplus store here in town I buy my cord from. Cord is about 3-5 dollars depending on color (50' lengths) and I researched and found my swivels for 5-9 dollars depending on type. Good stainless swivels are 9-12 dollars. As you can see I rarely have more than 10-13 bucks per sling involved.

Comment

When I was stationed in Iraq back in '03 I had a no sling at all and a friend ended up showing me how to make one of these, once I had it on and it was tight I loved the thing. It worked well, fit just the way I needed, looked pretty cool and I actually really loved the thing. I just bought a new rifle but don't yet have a sling and I'm trying to remember how to make one. I think I'll stop off at the library to see if they still have the back issue.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad