Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With just about every home built survival kit that I have read about, people always recommend waterproof matches. In the same am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With just about every home built survival kit that I have read about, people always recommend waterproof matches. In the same am

With just about every home built survival kit that I have read about, people always recommend waterproof matches. In the same amount of space that a waterproof match case takes in your survival kit, you could carry a small bic style lighter. You can start many more fires with it as well. So, I am wondering which is really better. Thanks

If I'm taking a "survival kit", I have both, plus a Zippo.

Comment

The pros are saying all these things can let you down at just the wrong time. Waterproof matches require a striking material, and if the striking material gets wet, can't use em. Lighters can let you down in wind.

So it seems these guys prefer to have the steel and flint fire starters as the essential item. Any matches or lighters can also be in the kit if you have room.

Comment

I also like to put a lighter in my kit, if it is in working order, great- but If you have ever gotten a lighter wet, you know that they can be impossible to light.

Comment

along with a flint and steel and a bic. i carry two small (PLASTIC) jars one filled with potassium permanganate and one with glycerin a small amount of potassium permanganate and a few drops glycerin on top of it wait a few seconds and poof fire no striking needed . but be careful with the potassium permanganate it is an oxidizer and and can burn skin or eyes . both can be bought online

Comment

if you can fit in some cotton balls soaked in parafin, or a little bottle of kerosene or lamp oil [the bottles that brake fluid come in work].... you can get wet wood going

Comment

To save space in my survival kit. I use an old boy scout trick. I took a book of matches and dipped the ends of the matches into melted wax. That will water-proof them to a point. But the best thing to have in there is a flint and steel with some cotton balls.

Comment

if clay cooper chimes in, he'll tell you a trick with vaseline and a rag.

Comment

I've never had any problems with my water proof matches and Vaseline strips, but I've had a few occasions where I couldn't get the plastic butane lighters to do anything. I do think that I'll look into the flint and steel and the stuff that COONER talks about.

Comment

Just dont let it get cold or to wet, then you are in a bad place if you need fire and only have a bic. I take a 4"X4" piece of gauze (bandage material) and rub vaseline on it until it penetrates then light it with a blastmatch. http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/product_view.cfm?product_ID=436
                    works all the time. I had the "pleasure"' of spending an extra unplanned and unwanted 30 hrs in the Rockies once, everything was wet and it started snowing I will never leave home without a blastmatch in my ruck.

Comment

In one of our "Reader's Digest Condensed" survival courses, the instructor gave us a "Let's say you're in a plane crash and your Bic lighter is ripped in half." story, showing us how it was still a great spark generator. I keep many around.

Comment

waterproof matches can handel more damage and still work

Comment

i think the reasoning behind that is that lighters don't work when they are wet .but if you take the same precations with your lighter as you would your matches you should be in good shape. however with the proper tinder a fire steel will out last both even when wet and won't malfunction.

Comment

I think a waterproof lighter or acaped liter

Comment

Having both are fine. Put both in a soap dish. I have never had a pristine Bic lighter that I couldn't get to light in short order. That includes heavy rain and wind.

But the real trick is getting to Carnegie Hall. That is, whatever method you pick.... Practice with it. Again. And again. Until you're sick and tired of it. That's the way to be able to use it properly when you are sick and tired.

And if you choose a Bic lighter - test it reasonably regularly (at least quarterly, not more than monthly) to make sure it still has fuel, the action is still smooth, etc. But the only time you use your 'survival' Bic is when testing or in an actual survival situation, period.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad