Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was taking the map test in the June issue. Im sure the answer to question 1 is incorrect. You cannot get to your destination at

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was taking the map test in the June issue. Im sure the answer to question 1 is incorrect. You cannot get to your destination at

Was taking the map test in the June issue. Im sure the answer to question 1 is incorrect. You cannot get to your destination at 33 degrees SSW. the bearing should be about 198 degrees accounting for 14 degrees E. declin- ation. Can i get a confirmation on this. Thx

I like McCafferty's articles [I think he did this one] but the test seemed flawed to me: right off the bat it is not clear where he first places you. This might have been the fault of someone else.

Most of the articles on navigating in the wild make it seem harder than it is. Best recent advice I have gotten from such is to get a back bearing to a landmark. Often the way that is presented makes no sense. Most of it is more of a common sense thing. Do you really need to study on it to be able to look at 3 landmarks and then figure out where you are? If you read such articles you might think you are too dumb but of course there is nothing to it.

Comment

when i was taking the test i automatically assumed i could'nt see where the destination was. i hunt deep timber and if i can see one landmark i count myself lucky. i believe ill continue to rely on my compass instead of "common sense"?.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad