Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are or did you all fair so far in the blizzard? Hope everyone is well. It started here at about 3 a.m. The wind is howling up around 40 mph it's 10 degrees out and snowing hard. Weatherman you finally got one right!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi...

We in the lower Catskill Mountains of NY really lucked out...the Nor'easter completely skirted us, in spite of The Weather Channel's hype...!!

It went up the East coast just below us...We ended up with about two inches of new snow...!!

Comment

Originally posted by steve182 View Post
      There is about an inch or two of snow here, a small fraction of what was predicted. School was closed before the first flakes even started flying. Blustery though.
      I was looking forward to a bit more. Hoped my wife's work would be closed today since i'm off and I promised the kids we'd build another igloo. Been a few years since we had the right snow for that. We didn't even get enough for a proper snow-man. and if my wife had been off i'dve been able to sit my last hunt of the year this eve. Always next year, I hope.

Comment

I was watching Fox a second ago and they said that the weatherman said it would hit NYC but was off by 35-50 miles which they said wasn't that much considering it's 500 mile long storm.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          Here in the Great Southwest, we're expecting near record highs (70°+F), light winds and clear skys!
          Great day for cutting firewood or just getting out!
          Me 'n "Bigdog" going for a walk later.
          Two fifty a cord and you have maple up there?
          "...But maple green or maple dry,
          A king may warm his slippers by..."
          Most common tree where I live is elm.
          "...Elm wood burns like church yard mold
          And even the very flames are cold..."
          Sorry, but I'd have to ship ! Collect!

Comment

Looks like a great chance to use your white camo! Be sure to wrap your rifle with snow camo tape. The only problem with all that is Mama won't be able to find you if you don't come in for dinner!

Comment

Originally posted by seth trudeau View Post
              It's going to be big here!
              Looks like perfect coyote calling weather to me! A full moon is due on Feb 3. If you go out at midnight, you can see them coming from 2 miles away with no lights. They will never be more aggressive and less wary than at that time. Not sure your state regs permit it but I'd be out there if they do. If you don't have white camo, you can buy a pair of painters pants at Sherwin Williams for about $4.

Comment

Originally posted by Pray- hunt-work View Post
                30 ft seas at cashes ledge by the way Gary. Good call on no lobster boat.
                Good call... that might just take the fun out of catching lobsters.

Comment

I hope all are OK but that looks just like Winter to me. A good time to stay in the house, sit by the fire and keep the trap door on your long johns buttoned UP! Until midnight on Feb 3 at least.

Comment

Originally posted by M.A.T View Post
                    I was watching Fox a second ago and they said that the weatherman said it would hit NYC but was off by 35-50 miles which they said wasn't that much considering it's 500 mile long storm.
                    Because so much of the storm was offshore, it is like predicting where a hurricane is going to make landfall, unpredictable at best. We got an inch when 8-12 was predicted, but it was still a very near miss.

Comment

M.A.T., you're wrong and it wasn't no 35 miles off course.

"The Worst Storm in our Lifetime it was being called. Preemptive State of Emergencies. Statewide Travel Bans – Even NYC closed its bridges and tunnels for the first time in recent memory. So how could the entire weather community get it so wrong?"

Those words above were quoted in this link below, from a Meteorologist who said he is got it wrong.

http://www.weathernj.com/how-every-meteorologist-including-myself-got-it-wrong/

Comment

start shoveling

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                          Here in the Great Southwest, we're expecting near record highs (70°+F), light winds and clear skys!
                          Great day for cutting firewood or just getting out!
                          Me 'n "Bigdog" going for a walk later.
                          Haha, oak gives the best btu's but really takes two years to season. I'll cut maple 90% of the time as it's certainly second best and splits easier than oak ever thought of. Enjoy the sunshine

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                            I watched Fox News this morning and they said the weathermen blew it.
                            It is no a historical record storm as stated. The New York City mayor commented during his press release, it could be the worst NYC blizzard ever. I think the heavy part of the storm is hanging over the Atlantic Ocean. I wouldn't be out there on a Lobster Boat today. LOL

My neighborhood went from 12 to 16 inches of snow expected, down to 2 to 4 inches of snow. It's not worth bringing the snow blower out.
                            Sorry PHW, but I have to disagree. The weather newscasters blew it this time.
                            I also heard on the news that Maine and Massachusetts is getting the worst of it. Possible 18 to 24 inches with high winds.
                            Good Luck! I hope your family is safe and warm.

We all at Camp II Sat around an open Pit Fire at(45*)Watching the Storm Channel on TV, Drinking HOT Buttered Rum! Looking at the News Reporters trying to make a Big Deal of the Snow Storm!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad