Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would putting smokeless gun powder in a water proof match container make good fire starter. It would blow up if you lit it with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless you are with one of those "historically accurate" re-enactment groups, in this modern era just use the simplest solution:

I didn't go through the full survival course, just the "3-day special". It was at the base in Rome, NY. It was darned cold.

The instructor did show us the flint-and-steel thing, and even a demo of the primitive toots, but mostly he told us about the miraculous, simple, cheap Bic lighter. Even ripped in half with no fuel, it makes a great spark.

I had to think about it. You can custom order fancy kits and tools and waterproof this-and-thats, but you can get a 6-pack of Bic lighters anywhere. And I did.

I'm weird about it in the mountains. I have them all over me and my gear. Shirt pocket, pants pocket, pack, belt case. We got stuck behind a rocky hill in north Georgia one year, and took a wrong turn that cost us hours out in the cold. We weren't lost, but when we got cold enough, it was moments to a good fire.

Now, some of the others' advice is also good. However, having to make sure the powder is dry, AND the matches, AND the lint, as well as possibly only having one shot at getting a fire (as some of the tiny kits only come with bits of these items), it seems better to have an instant fire generator with you.

Comment

Gun powder, alcohol, gasoline etc. are in the words of my old Vietnamese hooch maid "numba 10". you stand a good chance of getting burned and your fire will likely go out. Clay has excellent advice but I carry the bic's myself.

Comment

The only way I would use smokeless powder to start a fire is in a truely survival situation and I had to start pulling bullets. there are about a dozen better things out there, gun powder burns too fast. try the magnezium blocks, soaked cotten balls, saw dust in a a pill container or a Zippo

Comment

I would mix a little bit of powder with petroleum jelly and put that on cotton balls. When you need to start a fire sprinkle some powder over it to take a spark easier. But I would not try to start a fire just off gun powder. I start a fire off of birch bark....always.....pick some up as you hike.

Comment

I think you would be better off learning where you can make or get good tinder in your local woods. The problem with the powder is that if it get's damp whatsoever your screwed. Know where to get good tinder from nature and you will never have to worry about gwtting your fire started.

Comment

i agree with jbon

Comment

I've used Q-Tips soaked in citronella oil used in lamps. They light easy and burn like little torches. I keep them in a sealed old pill bottle.

Comment

You're better off soaking cotton balls in vaseline and using that as tinder.

Comment

I would say no...You want a long-lasting flame, So, Unless you have a LOT of the stuff, Then I would say no.

Comment

Amen to the cotton balls smeared with petroleum jelly. But as to your question, 3f or 4f black powder will easily ignite from a spark. That is what is used in the priming pan of a flintlock. Smokeless will not ignite as easily from a spark except perhaps some of the granulated powders. Smokeless burns much slower than black powder But the fine black powder will go fast, so you will still need some tinder.

Comment

Only use it on survival situation if you ask me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                          by labrador12
                          Trump wasn't a mistake.
                          Trump forced Democrats to reveal what anti-American, lying, conniving, evil SOBs that they really are.
                          The Russia...
                          Today, 05:14 PM
                        • Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                          by FirstBubba
                          Number 1 - the committee was SUPPOSED to be composed of 8 (D)'s and 5 (R)'s.
                          Pelosi rejected three of the (R) members and filled the spots with...
                          06-11-2022, 08:51 AM
                        • Just Right
                          by jhjimbo
                          Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years...
                          Today, 04:59 PM
                          by 99explorer
                          Trump was a mistake, an obvious mistake to half the country in 2016. It should be obvious to all now. His supporters know it. They’ll never admit it,...
                          Today, 03:47 PM
                          by jhjimbo
                          We really do not have the functioning Democratic Republic in Washington at this time....
                          Today, 09:18 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X