Clear All

• Would YOU hunt today?

Would YOU hunt today?

Temperature 31°
    Overcast
    Spitting sleet/freezing rain
    Wind 30/35 mph out of the NW / gusts to 45 mph
    Wind chill about 19°
    No accessible stands offer protection from the weather!

Sit at home and eat homemade soup and feed the fire?

Go bust some thickets and maybe jump a deer? (remember, you gotta dress that deer in this weather!)

What would YOU do?

Comment

I would hunt, but I hunt in any weather.

Comment

Hunt. Except for the wind a little high it's almost perfect.

Comment

When I was younger it was impossible to keep me out of the woods. Nowadays... not so much.

Comment

If not for work I would in a heart beat.

Comment

I DID hunt today. Was supposed to warm up to 45 degrees. Exactly the opposite! Wind chill by sundown was probably -15. Because I expected it to be warm I only wore the outer shell of my 4-in-1 wading jacket. Gad, it was cold! Shot two pheasants but sure blew my great batting average. Because I had no layers I had difficulty seating the shotgun properly. Plus I was so DAMNED cold I could hardly get ready to shoot before pheasants were out of range. Usually had my shooting hand tucked into my pants. A very long walk out in the dark when temp really plummeted. Probably made the longest shot of the season and creamed the rooster too. Missed several easy shots. One rooster doubled back from the dogs and jumped up at my feet. He was pinned between me and the cottonwood a few feet further. Had to swing my barrel out of the way to avoid hitting him. Couldn't shoot for fear of blowing him to pieces and when he finally cleared the tree he zipped into the wind behind it. Took a bad shot anyway. My Britt pinned him down again in some tumbleweeds on the other side of the reservoir near the shore. I got him when he cleared the trees. It's nearly 8:30 p.m. and I'm still chilled! My face looks like leather boiled in beets. But oh, it was so much fun! Pffttt. We'll stay home tomorrow and avoid the weekend hunters.

Comment

No way! I can handle the cold and the wind, but the sleet and freezing rain kills it for me.
                As Scarlett O'Hara once said, "Tomorrow is another day."

Comment

I was working but would would've found a leeward spot, or a pine or conifer thicket where I believe deer seek refuge on a day like that. Or stalk standing cornfields. A few years back I killed a nice mature buck at 1:30 pm on a day like that, still hunting all day, hour here, drive to another spot and warm up, an hour there, etc. Eventually I found a pile of deer feeding midday. I was at camp alone so it would've been a boring day had I not hunted.

Comment

Sounds like a good day to run rabbits with beagles. Bunnies are sitting tight, dogs kick them out, rabbits run smaller circles, woods break the wind off the hunter, good day to limit out on cottontails, maybe get a swamp or two!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad