Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here use YAKTRAX tread enhancers? As some of you may have read in previous post, I have serious knee issues. At least o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here use YAKTRAX tread enhancers? As some of you may have read in previous post, I have serious knee issues. At least o

Anyone here use YAKTRAX tread enhancers? As some of you may have read in previous post, I have serious knee issues. At least once a year, some minor stubble in the forest for an average guy becomes a major tumble for me. One of these times, I may tumble and not get up right away. On old guy hunting alone with bad knees is maybe taking chances that are not an issue for someone younger or with great knees. I have noticed a product called YAKTRAX that puts steel grips to the boot tread. Sort of like adding chains to your snow tires. Has anyone used it? Does it work?

Not sure if Yaktrax has more than one product but the ones I use have a rubber molding that slides onto the edge of your boots then it looks like springs that go across the tread of your boot that is what I use. They work great I work on the highway and when it gets iced over really bad they work great so I can walk and work on the highway. Not sure if they would be much use is mud debris and such but would not hurt to try.

Comment

I have used them extensively on ice, and they work as advertised. The are not as solid footing as true crampons, but they are effective. I would question how effective they would be in mud or snow, but on ice they are great.

Comment

Beware of too much traction. It can make you fall down as easily as not enough. Sad to say, I doubt there is going to be a quick fix for you. Be patient ... and keep on plugging away! Don't get frustrated with your limitations. It could always be worse. Check out the "Armed Geezer" thread in Gun Nuts blog. I was really surprised how many of us are working around health issues.

Comment

when it is icy outside, I will not hunt without my yaktrax. I used a mid grip coiled chain product that they make and they have several others that vary depending on the intensity of the tread for more or less traction. im seventeen so i dont have health issues yet but nobody likes to slip and fall on their rear

Comment

Hi...

I've used both YakTrax and StableIcers with good results in shallow snow and on ice, with excellent results.

I cannot comment on using them when afield, as I've never had a use for them there. But I see no reason not to try them for same.

I don't believe that they would be of much in mud, branch-covered forest floors, etc., though. though

Comment

Thanks Guys. I bought the PRO medium version. The worst that ca happen is I put them in my daypack and don’t use them.

Comment

I use the Jordan David Ice Grips. They use 18 hex head slotted screws plus deep grove bottom to gain purchase. Work well for $25.00 price.

Comment

Rocky, My work supplied everyone in the company with them and they work as stated, however before going in somewhere that has tile flooring take them off or you will have a bad gluteus maximus to go with your knees. They will also ruin laminate floors in a hurry.

Comment

Have you tried a knee brace/stabilizer? These are soft pull-ons or strap-ons, depending on the brand. Stick with Mueller or ACE. They can be had with varying degrees of stabilization, up to and including thin metal hinges for the highest level of stabilization. You can find these at Big 5 Sporting Goods or Wal-Mart for $15-$20 each, and many people with the problem you describe think they've found the miracle solution. Best wishes.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad