Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone here ever started a fire from just sticks? I have tried numerous techniques and blistered my hands, ruined my shoela

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone here ever started a fire from just sticks? I have tried numerous techniques and blistered my hands, ruined my shoela

Has anyone here ever started a fire from just sticks? I have tried numerous techniques and blistered my hands, ruined my shoelaces (using a bow drill), and exhausted myself completely on every different occasions. I can't do it. Not even with help from a friend can i get more than just smoke. If you have never practiced it before, than I recommend that you try it for fun and just to get a sense of what you would really be up against in a survival situation. My bet is that you can't make flames unless you have serious experience under your belt. So, I hereby officially challenge you to try this if you haven't yet. Either way, you will successfully learn to produce fire from friction or you will successfully learn to take matches and/or lighters everywhere. So who has done it? and who, like myself, has Bic lighters stashed everywhere?

I have successfully made fire with a bow drill on several occasions, but I agree with you, it is really difficult and requires the perfect combination of types of wood and weather conditions. If it is raining, forget it. Because I know how hard it is, when I leave the beaten path, I carry a ton of ways to make fire: Bic and Vaseline soaked cottonballs, strike anywhere matches, storm-proof matches, and a firesteel. Each works well in a different scenario.

Comment

My 12 year old daughter took a camping/ survival class last year in summer camp, and we had to start a fire without matches. We Couldn't get the bow drill to work, but we did manage to get a flame pretty quickly with magnesium shavings, and a flint and steel. It was an interesting lesson. Without some practice, it's not easy to do.

Comment

A bow drill is very hard to master, I found that a little grit at the base of the drill creates more friction= more heat=fire,sometimes. I like dryer lint(from cotton towels) and Vaseline, and I have a ton of matches everywhere, flint, liters, and mag blocks.
        when you need fire redundancy is everything!!!!

Comment

The only unconventional method of starting a fire that has worked for me was with a magnifying glass on dry grass, and even that was difficult.
          In the movie, "The Edge," Anthony Hopkins states that he could start a fire with ice, hinting that he could create a magnifying glass with melted snow, but it was not demonstrated in the movie.

Comment

When I was 10, (about 100 years ago) I mastered the magnifying glass fire starting technique, (dry leaves would catch on fire very quickly)and saw in person one guy use an ice block, he had poured water into a shallow bowl to make his lens. the key to any fire making, is tinder, if you do not have it, or do not know how to produce it from what is around you, all of the matches and lighters in the world will not help!!!

Comment

the bow method requires certain woods to work well. A soft wood is usually used for the bottom board like pine. a fire saw is the only other friction way that I have been able to make fire. tinder is sandwiched between 2 flat peaces of wood wit a 3rd place on top and sawed back and forth. Both took a lot of practice to get to work but it was for a grade in a class that I needed a A in so I got them to work.

Comment

Twice I have gotten a coal and twice I blew it out of my tinder.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad