Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today marks that first big age milestone. I have been on this Earth for eighteen years. Do you guys have any advice to give a yo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." Proverbs 9:10

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that gives to all men liberally, and upbraides not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavers is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed." James 1:5-6.

Comment

Hi...

When I graduated High School at 17 I enlisted in the Navy. They sent me to school, and I learned something I could use on the outside.

Today's Navy has good pay, can teach you skills, has good benefits, and can send you to college.

In a few short years you may be leading other Sailors.

Talk to a recruiter from the Navy...or any branch of the services for useful info.

Learning a trade, skill or profession should be one of the first items on your agenda.

And, since this is an outdoor column, try to find a mentor to hone your hunting-fishing-trapping skills.

Comment

Easy, Dont go were you shouldnt go and dont do what you shouldnt do. Bout covers it!

Comment

It sounds like you have your head on straight. Congrats, that is an accomplishment at your age. Just a word of warning, several of my friends are doctors and to the man (or woman) they say the hardest courses they took in all their years of school were the early chem, bio, and bio-chem courses. These are apparently used by the school to "weed out" those who shouldn't be in the program. Be prepared to really work your butt off in those.

You also sound like school has been easy for you. I know the feeling. I'd just like to paraphrase something a professor said on the first day of an extremely difficult, very competitive, high level class:

"I know you are all smart. I know you have great GPAs. I know you are used to being at the top of your class. If you weren't, you wouldn't be here today. I also know that most of you are expecting to the in the top 10% of this class, because that is what you are used to. You need to understand that everyone else in this room is just as smart as you, comes with similar credentials, works just as hard, and also expects to be in the top 10%. 90% of you will not be. If you want to excel here, it is going to take a whole hell of a lot more than you are used to."

I suspect the field you are going into will be just as difficult. Come out of the gates with guns blazing, and best of luck!

Comment

I wouldn't recommend law enforcement either, but not because it's part of the problem. There are a lot of good things about a career in law enforcement, but it definitely changes your personality.

Beyond that, many people have have given excellent advice. You'll do well if you follow the sensible suggestions.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend law enforcement either, but not because it's part of the problem. There are a lot of good things about a career in law enforcement, but it definitely changes your personality.

Beyond that, many people have have given excellent advice. You'll do well if you follow the sensible suggestions.

Comment

1. Do what others won't now, so you can do what others can't later. (study, save, challenge yourself, work hard, etc.)

2. There's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

3. Pay attention to details, but don't let the details come at the expense of the big picture.

4. Many bad consequences begin with excessive alcohol.

5. Take a few risks when you're young, but not dangerous ones. You don't want any regrets when you're older, but you want to live to be older.

6. Most people are willing to sell their morals and ethical codes for a pretty cheap price. For heaven's sake, don't be one of them. You can always get a new job, new friend, new stuff...it's tough to get back your reputation.

7. Reputation is the most important asset that most people have. Protect it accordingly.

8. Go fishing with your dad, uncle, cousin, friend, or kids. Take photos when doing so.

Comment

9. A man's worth is not measured in dollars. There are plenty of good people who don't have a pot to piss in. There are rich rotten SOBs. There are poor jerks, and rich princes. Don't make the mistake of judging people for good or for ill based on a bank account.

10. Life is fragile and it can be random and unfair. In short time, you'll see the role that luck or fortune can have -- for good and for bad -- in your own life and in those of others. Wonderful people will strike out, catch a horrible disease, die in car accidents, wind up divorced or bankrupt or disabled through no fault of their own. You'll know lazy jerks with character flaws longer than this post succeed and thrive in life with wonderful spouses, jobs, financial success, health, etc. Life is not a movie, and fortune sometimes is unfair.

11. Collect friends, and avoid enemies. You don't always have to be friends with people, but you would be well served to avoid enemies.

12. Treat everyone as you wish you'd be treated. Be honest in business dealings, merciful to the poor and sick, forgiving of the wicked, and patient with your friends and family.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to South Dakota leads the way.
                    by PigHunter
                    You assume too much about the motives of others. Maybe you should just keep quiet so people wouldn't see you as an idiot....
                    Today, 01:11 AM
                  • South Dakota leads the way.
                    by labrador12
                    South Dakota didn't lock down. South Dakota continued with open schools. South Dakota even held the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. South Dakota maintained...
                    02-27-2021, 07:10 PM
                    by 99explorer
                    Maybe you should wear a sign around your neck so people would see you as the free-running stallion as you see yourself.
                    Today, 01:01 AM
                    by PigHunter
                    I've recently taken you off ignore and see you're still an idiot and still posting stupid opinions.

I was sick with Covid about this time...
                    Today, 12:50 AM
                  • Reply to Trump
                    by 99explorer
                    Here is a very well-written essay. It is a bit long-winded, but here is the gist of it.

"The president of the United States tried to...
                    Today, 12:34 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X