Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today marks that first big age milestone. I have been on this Earth for eighteen years. Do you guys have any advice to give a yo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Don't ever drink and drive.
    2. Go to college or a trade school.
    3. Always use protection.
    4. Don't do drugs.
    5. Don't gamble.
    6. Respect your elders.
    7. Go to church.
    8. Never take a bad shot on an animal.
    9. Don't be a litter bug keep the roads clean.
    10. Don't let Ontario Honker upset you with his comments.

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

Just joking on my tenth suggestion.
        Replace it with this one;

10. Crime doesn't pay.

Comment

You never learn anything when your mouth is open!
          keep your powder dry.

Comment

1) Never pass a bathroom without using it.
            2) Never waste a hard on
            3) Don't trust a fart

Oh, my bad, you said 18 I thought you meant 81!

Comment

Stay Single as long as Possible!
              Get a Summer Job..Go to Collage take a Criminal Justice course 14 Mounts and get a job in Law Enforcement.
              We have so many Bad Guys out their, Do your 20 and OUT.

Comment

Thanks for the laugh Safado.

Comment

Remember to make time for hunting and fishing!

Comment

Save money.
                    Do the next right thing.
                    Don't fear failure.
                    Save money.
                    There are lots of [email protected] fine suggestions---wish I'd had 'em when I turned 18, but I knew entirely too much. The fact that you have the good sense to ask goes a long way.
                    It's better to ask a stupid question than take a stupid action.

Comment

Great suggestions except:

Forget law enforcement - part of the problem not solution.

Comment

Just thank God for letting you live to see each new day. This life is so short and if or when you reach the age where you start to say "I wish I had did so and so" it is too late. You can not go back so do not try to live yesterday, just tomorrow. Each new day brings new challenges so just take them one at a time and make the best of them. All the education and planning in the world will not cover some of the challenges you may eventually face.

Now for what my father told me to learn. He said, "75% of the people you meet will not know or understand if something is working properly", meaning they do not know if a sewing machine is working as it should, if a tree is growing at its proper rate, etc. Then he said, "Out of the 25% that understand that something is working properly, only 25% of them will understand how it works", meaning that they understand how a sewing machine works or how the tree grows. Then he said, "Out of that 25% which actually know how it works, only 25% of them will know WHY it works. So son, always ask the question why it works first and learn it because if you know why it works, you will automatically know if and how it works". I have tried to live by my fathers advice and always ask the question "why?" and it has served me well all my life.

The question "why?" works on everything in life and back in my early days, the library became almost a second home. Now today anytime I have to ask the question "why" I can usually find it somewhere on the net.

I wish you the best and may you be in the small percentage of the people that can always answer the question "why".

Comment

There is some excellent advice in the answers above. So rather than say the same thing in a different way, I'll point out, that you probably already know the right thing to do, the answers above are just some reminders. All the best to you!

Comment

Good luck to you as you embark on this great journey of life for the first time as an adult. Stick to your decisions but admit when your wrong, accept responsibility for your actions, love to the fullest, and enjoy yourself with no regrets.

Comment

Approach your fishing and hunting with the mindset of a conservationist, cook, naturalist, historian, philosopher, and carnivore rolled into one. When you're not catching fish or seeing game, and even when you are, notice all the other critters and plants around you. Learn how to cook if you don't know already; it's sinful to ruin wild meat and fish. Learn about those who came before you: Your own family members, Natives, explorers (and revel in how much you learn about fishing and hunting from those stories). You get the point, but I'm on a pulpit here and want to get down. Overall, be an outdoorsman and a woodsman, not just someone who owns a fishing pole and a gun. (The fact that you asked that question says you've got some solid stuff already)

Comment

Hey guys I really appreciate all of it. Maybe you'll all care to hear what I have goin for me already? As far as a trade, my father laid floor for years and made sure my brother and I knew how to do that. I am attending Mississippi State in the fall to major in Biochemistry with a concentration in pre-dental. I know I will go medical and hopefully dentistry. Honestly the school work is a non-issue. It will all get done and will be good. I have never had the urge to touch any drugs. That's just not my idea of a good time. I'm trying to become a better Christian and I know that is what will make me have a happy life. I'm in a committed relationship now with a wonderful girl and we are very realistic about the whole relationship. And we are careful. I contribute all that I know about life to my dad. He taught me... Well... Just everything. By example and by lessons. Thank you all again so much. Great advice. God bless all yall

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad