Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two weeks ago I put three bear baits out with my trail camera facing each bait pile. Each location I choose was near the swamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two weeks ago I put three bear baits out with my trail camera facing each bait pile. Each location I choose was near the swamp

Two weeks ago I put three bear baits out with my trail camera facing each bait pile. Each location I choose was near the swamp because of those hot days during spring. I figured the bears would be near water in the cooler swamps. I sprayed my clothing with Duranon to keep the ticks off me. It worked great and I never found a tick on me. When it warmed up later that day, I was attacked by these little biting black flies. They were climbing in my ears and up my nose. What bug spray will keep these flying biters off of me? I have to go back and check my cameras.

Gary,
    Do not put bug spray on you ears or in your nose - that stuff is strong chemicals. Get yourself a head net and use the Duranon on the clothing. I tape the pants and sleeves if it is really bad.
    Wash real good when you get home.
    What did you use for bait this time? Hope you get some good pictures - jimbo

Comment

Jhjimbo, I would never put bug spray inside my nose or ears. A good bug spray on the face should protect the entire face are.

I am baiting black bears for the Field and Stream Spring Trail Cam contest. New Jersey doesn’t have a spring bear hunt. I am being swarmed by biting black flies thanks to F&S Editors. Lol

I am baiting with corn, sweet bakery items, dry dog food, giant bags of butter pop corn, bird seed and strawberry licorice twizzlers hanging six feet up on tree branches and meat.

Comment

typo in my second line, face area not face are

Comment

BTW, I used a head net while bow hunting for black bears during a spring bear hunt with guide Phil Copp in Ontario Canada. It was so hot the net stuck to my face from the sweat. The black flies bite through the tiny holes in the head net.

I need a strong spray. I now understand why the caribou go insane on the tundra from the biting bugs.

Comment

Try beekeepers gear. I think that might work.

Comment

Cut one leg-off a pear of panty hose this always workes.

Comment

Hi...

Under the worst of conditions, I've used a head net with good results.

Some others may recommend DEET, which is a very powerful insect deterrent. However, DEET will also DISSOLVE 'plastics' (first hand experience), so I will not use it.

Comment

I would go with Skin So Soft from Avon. I have used it in other countries against all manner of bugs and it works.

Comment

try a bug spray with Pyrethrum it is made form the chrysanthemum flower and has almost no effect on mammals but attacks the nervous system of invertebrates. It also works as a powerful repellant while being all natural and smelling faintly of flowers it is good to use when hunting. the only down side is you have to re apply about ever 2 hours because it has a short half life.

Comment

Wear a brimmed hat and cover with a head net that had been sprayed earlier with a high quality DEET spray like Ultrathon. Have used this combo here in the States as well as in serious tropical jungle seems to work as well as anything. Soak your clothes in Permethrin per their printed instructions. Nothing is perfect but this even helps with tsetse flies which are almost impossible to deter. DEET takes paint of vehicles and skin off over time, but it does work on bugs.

Comment

sand and mud gnats hate them. I've actually found them to be worse with anything that smells? That and sweating they just come after you. I wear sunglasses that hug tighter around my eyes (costa brines love them) hat and a summer buff, all are in my tackle box for summer. I thought they were attracted to heat? If it ever gets real bad i put my hand up and they flock to to then i walk away. I would say for safe measure a hat at the very least (put the bug spray on that.

Comment

We get those little black flies in the ADKs in the spring. I swear they are nothing but teeth and there's nothing out there that repels them...a bug shirt that protects your head is the best thing you can get.

Comment

I've always had really good luck with Deepwoods Off or Cutter Sport.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad