Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do any of you have the strike anywhere matches? if so i was wondering if the work when wet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do any of you have the strike anywhere matches? if so i was wondering if the work when wet?

do any of you have the strike anywhere matches? if so i was wondering if the work when wet?

No, the ones i have are not waterproof. I am not sure if waterproof matches are strike anywhere.

Comment

miller, play it safe take a lighter with you. Good Luck

Comment

Hi...

Unless they are waterproof (think Titanic!), they won't light...and even then, they probably won't work.

When it comes to matches...ALL matches will deteriorate over time.

According to people who know a lot more than I do about matches...if you MUST use them in the outdoors...the best ones to have are REI's Stormproof matches.

Carrying secondary ways to light a fire is encouraged.

Comment

The REI matches are excellent.

Comment

I keep a Bic in my pocket summer, winter, spring and fall.
            Want waterproof (?) matches? Dip them in melted paraffin and store them in an airtight container.
            BTW! A wet Bic won't work until you get it dried out! LOL
            I don't know if matches are water "proof"? Water "resistant"? Maybe!

Anybody remember the coffee cans that opened with the "key" on the bottom of the can? The old timers stored their matches in those cans because they had a metal lids and rats and mice couldn't get to the matches. More than one house was torched by a rat/mouse gnawing on a match!

Comment

Lighter is the only way to go. Maybe matches have a purpose but why complicate the simple. Take 2+ in ziploc bags. I always have them everywhere but where I need them when its time to start a fire.

Comment

You can also coat match heads with nail polish, but today's strike anywhere matches are a vastly inferior substitute for the old ones that you could strike on your zipper, shoe sole or pop them lit with your thumbnail. You could put the old ones down the muzzle of a BB gun, shoot it into a brick wall and expect incendiary results when it hit. Fun for children!

Comment

There are some matches that are "water-resistant" but, in any event, they'll only work once! I don't smoke, but I include a small magnifying glass in my kit.

Comment

I use redundant systems, I have lighters, strike anywhere matches, and water proof matches. I also have a mag fire starter block with cotton dryer lint soaked in petroleum jelly. I am kind of obsessed with fire starting.

Comment

well fire is almost nessacary to survive RJ Arena.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad