Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about a 10mm Glock for grizzly protection? Fairly light for carrying and more projectiles than my S&W 44 mag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about a 10mm Glock for grizzly protection? Fairly light for carrying and more projectiles than my S&W 44 mag.

What do you think about a 10mm Glock for grizzly protection? Fairly light for carrying and more projectiles than my S&W; 44 mag.

A 10 gauge would be my first choice over 10mm, however it is an adequate caliber for bear, but make sure you have good hollow points.

Comment

I wouldn't use hollow points for bear you need a good solid or heavy soft point. HSM, Hornady, Buffalo Bore and Grizzly make good ammo.

Comment

Stick carry the extra weight and if you are shooting more that 6 rounds then you have a problem besides the gun. Also use a good controlled expansion bullet or lfn, you want the bullet to penetrate and do massive damage all the way not go in 8 in and stop. When it comes to caliber if you can comfortably shot the .44 and are confident in the gun then take it but if you aren't take the 10mm. A smaller gun that you can hit a bear with is alway better than a big gun that you have to literally hit the bear with.

Comment

A Glock/30-10MM/17+1,Its a fine choice for Back-up in Grizz-country, Hornady or Winchester Silver-Tips would my pick....Good luck with your Glock.

Comment

what about bear spray?

Comment

what about bear spray?

Comment

Leave the gun at home and carry bear spray.

Comment

Leave the gun at home and carry bear spray.

Comment

If it has to be a handgun, I would go with the S&W .44 Mag. because you would not be likely to get off more than one or two shots at a charging grizzly.

Comment

Can you find 300+ grain fodder for a 10? No grizzly or 10mm experience but I'd want all the bullet weight I could find.

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

The .44 mag with heavy hard cast bullets is an absolute minimum for grizzlies. Leave the autos and hollow points at home. A large magazine won't do you any good if you only have time for one or two shots.

Comment

What's with the -1?
                            I would prefer hollow points to solids because when a bear is charging you he is headlong, so if I have to shoot him I would want to do as much damage as possible.
                            Dallas, the 10mm has been likened to a .44magnum during ballistics test, however a handgun would not be my first choice for bear protection, especially grizzly.

Comment

I would recommend hardcast bullets, like the ones from Buffalobore 220 gr. Hard Cast - FN (1200 fps/ME 703 ft. lbs.(from their web site) you need penetration, and these guys punch! Hollow points would deflect right off of a big boar grz. head!
                              I would be carrying my marlin .45-70 with hardcast 430grain as a min.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad