Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone heard of the "North Pond Hermit" from Maine? He's said to have spent 27 years in the woods alone in a makeshift camp, no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone heard of the "North Pond Hermit" from Maine? He's said to have spent 27 years in the woods alone in a makeshift camp, no

Anyone heard of the "North Pond Hermit" from Maine? He's said to have spent 27 years in the woods alone in a makeshift camp, no fires, only one human interaction, and stealing over a thousand times to survive. He was caught last week, and after hearing just the few details released it makes you wonder how he did it. He reportedly never stole valuables, or money, only food and clothes. A theif is a theif and deserved to be caught, but it still begs the question, could you have done the same and survived?

Look on the Outdoor News section in Blogs. You'll see a report on this guy and a photo of his campsite. Pretty sophisticated campsite. Just a bum in the woods. Scroll down and you'll see where Chad reported on a similar bum in California although that guy started shooting at people. I have seen several incidents of these guys over the years. They are just reclusive bums who steal stuff to survive. Nothing terribly "survivalist" about it.

Comment

I heard that some of his neighbors left food out for him while they were away so he wouldn't damage their homes breaking in. Pathetic case.

Comment

He has also received a marriage proposal.
        Some women prefer the strong silent type:-)

Comment

Naw, they just prefer their name in the news. Sicker than the bum!

Comment

I like the guy who lived alone in Alaska near the large lake. He builds his own cabin, an elevated meat storage house and he made everything he needed. I think he was a Carpenter by trade.
            It’s called "Alone in the Wilderness." I watched it around ten times.

Comment

Gary

That would be Di¢k Predike (sp?) (pro: pred-ick-e).
              He was 50 something when he moved to Alaska. He wanted to try living up there one year. He ended up staying over 30 years until he was 80+ years old! Amazing!

As for the Maine "hermit"? The claim by some that he's "mentally unstable" is unwarranted. Make no mistake, the LSM will let the world know if he is "off"!

Comment

I don't call stealing supplies from people who earn them to be too heroic. If I tried that I'm sure I would be caught very quickly. I have a sweet tooth and would go for the desserts.

Comment

I'm with ya there, Dakota. Nothing admirable about being a bum. Firstbubba, take a look at the guy's campsite. He obviously had a garbage can fetish. How weird is that? Looks and sounds to me like he is "off".

Comment

Yes but not with out a fire and I would make my clothes and get food that I need in the woods that's when I was young , Now that I'm old with a bad heart I can not thank of doing it like that other then a weekend for clothes just tan the hides of the animals that you get and fish is not hard to get at all and plants you just got to know what to eat were you are at . that would be one thing I would look in to a lot before I went out to do it any were other then here in Mi. eating plants is something you need to know a lot about there is a lot of bad plants out there that look a like so I would say got some one to show you what is what .

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad