Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple of friends and I are trying to survive off the land by my cottage in Beckett, Massachusetts with limited supplies. Almo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of friends and I are trying to survive off the land by my cottage in Beckett, Massachusetts with limited supplies. Almo

A couple of friends and I are trying to survive off the land by my cottage in Beckett, Massachusetts with limited supplies. Almost as if we survived a plane crash. We want to bring a backpack each which holds a hatchet, a multipurpose knife, 2 pairs of shorts, a pair of pants, a T-shirt and a canteen. We really want to have to build our own shelter, hunt our own food and make our own fire. We will only be about 1 mile away from the cottage in case we need to abort the plan. Any suggestions on anything we should bring or do to make the experience better?

Rain gear and a candle come to mind. Flashlight, parachute cord would be useful.
    good luck, report back with how it went.

Comment

Pack some fishing tackle and a .22LR pistol for small game, assuming you will be doing this during an open season. Check the fish and game laws in Massachusetts.

Comment

I'd wait until the woodchucks start showing themselves with regularity if you wish to eat meat, or wait for the autumn seasons.

Comment

Water filter, Even if you think the water is probably good, why risk it. Is not very Bear Grylls but bad water can put a world of hurt on you. Its cheating but the good kind.

Comment

If you're doing it this time of year, go to camp first and light a fire or turn on the heat. It can be a hard task to get a camp up to temperature in the winter months even when you're in good standings. If you're planning to use camp as an emergency back up, you don't need to go from bad to worse. It can sometimes take 24 hrs here in Maine to make camp a cozy place to stay. Just my two cents. Also, if you're survival situation is because of a hypothetical plane crash, use what was only hypothetically in you're luggage during said accident. Were you flying out to the Bahamas to fly fish for bones? Or to Disney on vacation? Or kodiak Island on a hunt? Make it real. After all, camps only a mile away.

Comment

A roll of TP would be good for all concerned. Multiple means/methods for making fire. When it is needed most is often when it is hardest to make. A way to carry and purify water. A simple pot covers both tasks. Some cordage such as 50' of 550 para cord. Snare wire if you know how to use it, a slingshot if you can hit anything with it, A .22 or .410 or better yet a .22/.410 combo gun if that wouldn't be considered "cheating", an 8'X10' tarp can become a snug shelter

Comment

love the idea would like to know how it turns out and what you used.

Comment

Hi...

So you're going to have three hatchets and three multi-use knives? You shouldn't need so much duplication. Get rid of two hatchets and two knives.

Do add paracord, a slingshot or a .22, a GOOD water filter unit (unless you know for a fact that nearby water sources are potable), first aid gear and fire making sources.

Rain gear could also be a life saver. Fishing gear, if applicable.

Sounds like an interesting project. How long do you anticipate to be camping?

Good luck.

Comment

Before you hunt or fish off the land, make sure the animals and fish are in season within your Fish and Wildlife game laws. The water filters helps but take the pills or powder that purifies the water. You do not want any bacteria or beaver fever from your drinking water.

Comment

The other people have great suggestions but I would also bring snare wire and duck tape. Duck tape has many uses such as being great for starting fires.

Comment

I assume from your list that this will be a summer adventure. Take bug spray.

Comment

A small pruning saw with a curved blade is light, and could be a great labor saver in cutting wood.

Comment

a flint sparker to get fires going if your matches get wet or you run out

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                              by crm3006
                              What? Exposed your ignorance about Auto 5s, did I, little man? Gonna pout, and hold your breath 'til you turn blue?
                              Today, 09:45 PM
                            • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                              by derek7
                              Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                              08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                            • Reply to 16 Years
                              by 99explorer
                              So tell us, blubber, is Kamala Harris a U.S. citizen or not?
                              Yes or no.
                              No speeches and no insults.
                              Today, 09:36 PM
                            • 16 Years
                              by jhjimbo
                              So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                              08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                            • Reply to 16 Years
                              by FirstBubba
                              Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                              Back on topic, we see that misinformation about Harris's citizenship status is playing a major role in...
                              Today, 09:29 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X