Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am trying to find a good recipe for pemmican. It seems to me that I saw a historical account that said it was made with corn m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am trying to find a good recipe for pemmican. It seems to me that I saw a historical account that said it was made with corn m

I am trying to find a good recipe for pemmican. It seems to me that I saw a historical account that said it was made with corn meal, powdered jerky and suet. All the recipes that I can find now use dried berries. Any one have any recipes they would share?

Ingredients:

3 pounds lean beef, such as brisket or bottom round
    1 pound beef suet or tallow (you will want to end up with 3/4 cup of liquid tallow)
    1/2 cup dried cranberries or cherries (optional)
    1/4 cup grade B maple syrup (optional)

Preparation:

Slice beef into thin strips, spread on oiled racks placed on a cookie sheet and bake several hours in a 150 degree oven until well dried. You may also use a dehydrator. Meanwhile, cut suet or tallow into small pieces and place in a pan. Melt over medium-high heat and allow to boil until any pieces of skin, meat or gristle have become crisp. Pour the hot fat through a strainer into a glass measuring cup – you should have about 3/4 cup of rendered fat.

Cut dried beef into pieces and process in batches in the food processor, several minutes per batch, until the beef is reduced to a course powder. In a bowl, mix powdered beef, warm fat, optional cranberries and optional maple syrup. Press into a quart-sized, wide-mouth mason jar and cover tightly. Pemmican may be stored at room temperature. Eat pemmican as is, or fry it up in a pan.

Comment

Hi...

Shred an amount of beef jerky to your liking. Add an equal amount of diced, crisp bacon. Add a small amount of UN-processed (raw) honey to bind. Berries optional.

Comment

equal parts jerky pounded into powder, dried berries pulverized and beef suet rendered and clarified

Comment

Thanks for all of the advise. I made up a batch as a project for myself and my oldest grandson and it turned out pretty good. Will be including some in a winter survival kit.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad