Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your opinions of Bear Grylls? He gets a lot of hate and I guess I know why but I don't understand why. I mean I get tha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathfinder1
    replied
    Hi...

So, now I must ask...just how DO you bare grills...??

Leave a comment:

• Pathfinder1
    replied
    Hi...

Bear is very smart. He knows where to 'find' that seal and use its skin as clothing. He knows there to 'find' that fresh, dead salmon to eat for lunch. He knows exactly where and when the chopper will meet him after X-number of days.

WOW...that guy knows so much...!!

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    I think Bear takes many risks that are staged for the television audience. If his show was boring the television viewers would turn it off. I don't believe that Bear performs the dog and pony show in real survival life.

Leave a comment:

• Bioguy01
    replied
    No doubt bear does have some survival skills, but he takes risks that nobody in their right mind should take if they were in a real survival situation.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    benkwin in your post you mentioned the one word that sums up the show "entertainment". Learn the skills necessary in the geographic and seasonal environment where you might be at risk. Best advice I got was from a former Korean era Marine and Army Orthopedic Surgeon.

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    As Cody Lundin put it, "Anyone who drinks his own pee hasn't a clue what they are doing".

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    Contrary to what the Bear suggests, some real survival advice would be to conserve precious calories and avoid injury by walking rather than running. Rather than risking life threatening injury where medical help is unavailable, never jump, but rather, scout for a safe way down. Etc., etc. etc.

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    Bear is far better at marketing survival than he is at teaching the skills. Most of us in the Survival Skills Instructor community consider him a joke. He is a showman and he takes stupid risks for showmanship that could cause the death of someone trying to follow his example. All his running, jumping, sliding down snow covered slopes, climbing down waterfalls, etc. etc. are excellent ways to incur a mechanical injury at a time where such an injury could cause ones death in the wilderness. He is an accomplished adventurer, but a lousy survival instructor. Maybe he should stick with what he is good at before his foolish antics and poor advice gets someone killed.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Bear Grylls also climbed Mount Everest. He has to bet one tough man to beat Everest.
    The highest and tallest elevation on the earth's surface is the top of Mount Everest on the border of Nepal and China at 29,035 feet (8,850 meters).
    If there ever were a survival competition between Les and Bear, my money would be on the real thing, Edward Michael Grylls alias Bear.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    You can't be too much of a survivalist with a whole camera crew and helpers at your disposal if you need them. Made for TV like everything else.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    I think they're both acting out scenes to please the television viewers who watch their show.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Who in blazes is Bear Grylls??

Leave a comment:

• AAM
    replied
    Benkwin
    I completely understand your point and I don't hate him, I just think the show is a little boring. By the way Blue Ox I do like survivorman better and Redfishunter I don't think he's exactly a sissy.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Ox
    replied
    Les Stroud all the way. He does his own camera work & doesn't take unneccesary risks or waste energy by jumping around the place.

Leave a comment:

• Ncarl
    replied
    He's a showman not a survivalist. If someone were to actually take his advice in a survival situation they wouldn't last a day. I'm a les stroud kinda guy.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to COVID 19 “Super-spreader” !....
    by bowhunter75richard
    I am not sure I fully understand the argument concerning natural immunity and vaccination. Natural immunity is being claimed to be of greater protection...
    Today, 07:20 AM
  • COVID 19 “Super-spreader” !....
    by bowhunter75richard
    The biden administration is now concerned that the UN General Assembly taking place in NYC, has the potential of being a super-spreader of the Covid virus...
    09-19-2021, 07:29 AM
  • Reply to This Could Be Bad
    by jhjimbo
    I don't worry about this stuff, I just stay informed....
    Today, 03:21 AM
  • This Could Be Bad
    by jhjimbo
    My guess is variants from the Covid strain to the R-1, a new strain will be bad - bad in a sense it can mutate faster than we can develop antibodies...
    Yesterday, 05:28 PM
  • Reply to This Could Be Bad
    by Danbo
    Perhaps we all should turn off the news and radio shows. We should live our lives and have fun. You never know when our time is up no sense in worrying...
    Today, 02:50 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X