Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your opinions of Bear Grylls? He gets a lot of hate and I guess I know why but I don't understand why. I mean I get tha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your opinions of Bear Grylls? He gets a lot of hate and I guess I know why but I don't understand why. I mean I get tha

What are your opinions of Bear Grylls? He gets a lot of hate and I guess I know why but I don't understand why. I mean I get that people think he is arrogant but so are a lot of celebrities and that's what he is. Also I realize that people say his show was faked but here's how I see it: whether or not he was alone and where he slept off camera doesn't matter to me because everything on camera is real. I know some situations are presented to him but that's logical because it allows him to show certain skills. And I get that he takes unnecessary risks that the average survivalist wouldn't take because it increases the danger but it adds entertainment value. I personally don't need that to keep me interested as I like survival knowledge for its own sake but lots of people like the show because of the danger. And here's the thing whether or not he is really in a survival scenario on television doesn't matter because he does KNOW how to survive if he has to so his knowledge isn't fake but all shows go through an editing process. So that's just my opinion. I am not trying to argue with anyone I just want to know what you guys think? So let me know if you agree and if you don't please explain your reason. Thanks in advance for you feedback.

He's a showman not a survivalist. If someone were to actually take his advice in a survival situation they wouldn't last a day. I'm a les stroud kinda guy.

Comment

Les Stroud all the way. He does his own camera work & doesn't take unneccesary risks or waste energy by jumping around the place.

Comment

Benkwin
        I completely understand your point and I don't hate him, I just think the show is a little boring. By the way Blue Ox I do like survivorman better and Redfishunter I don't think he's exactly a sissy.

Comment

Who in blazes is Bear Grylls??

Comment

I think they're both acting out scenes to please the television viewers who watch their show.

Comment

You can't be too much of a survivalist with a whole camera crew and helpers at your disposal if you need them. Made for TV like everything else.

Comment

Bear Grylls also climbed Mount Everest. He has to bet one tough man to beat Everest.
                The highest and tallest elevation on the earth's surface is the top of Mount Everest on the border of Nepal and China at 29,035 feet (8,850 meters).
                If there ever were a survival competition between Les and Bear, my money would be on the real thing, Edward Michael Grylls alias Bear.

Comment

Bear is far better at marketing survival than he is at teaching the skills. Most of us in the Survival Skills Instructor community consider him a joke. He is a showman and he takes stupid risks for showmanship that could cause the death of someone trying to follow his example. All his running, jumping, sliding down snow covered slopes, climbing down waterfalls, etc. etc. are excellent ways to incur a mechanical injury at a time where such an injury could cause ones death in the wilderness. He is an accomplished adventurer, but a lousy survival instructor. Maybe he should stick with what he is good at before his foolish antics and poor advice gets someone killed.

Comment

Contrary to what the Bear suggests, some real survival advice would be to conserve precious calories and avoid injury by walking rather than running. Rather than risking life threatening injury where medical help is unavailable, never jump, but rather, scout for a safe way down. Etc., etc. etc.

Comment

As Cody Lundin put it, "Anyone who drinks his own pee hasn't a clue what they are doing".

Comment

benkwin in your post you mentioned the one word that sums up the show "entertainment". Learn the skills necessary in the geographic and seasonal environment where you might be at risk. Best advice I got was from a former Korean era Marine and Army Orthopedic Surgeon.

Comment

No doubt bear does have some survival skills, but he takes risks that nobody in their right mind should take if they were in a real survival situation.

Comment

I think Bear takes many risks that are staged for the television audience. If his show was boring the television viewers would turn it off. I don't believe that Bear performs the dog and pony show in real survival life.

Comment

Hi...

Bear is very smart. He knows where to 'find' that seal and use its skin as clothing. He knows there to 'find' that fresh, dead salmon to eat for lunch. He knows exactly where and when the chopper will meet him after X-number of days.

WOW...that guy knows so much...!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad