Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever been lost outdoors and had to survive? If you have please say where and for how long.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever been lost outdoors and had to survive? If you have please say where and for how long.

Have you ever been lost outdoors and had to survive? If you have please say where and for how long.

Hunting in Maine twenty years ago, I took my compass reading from the dirt road at seven o’clock in the morning. I hunted in the east direction away from the dirt road for two hours. I turned right at nine o’clock in the morning and hunted south for two hours. I turned right at eleven o’ clock, and hunted in the west direction for three hours and found no road. I was lost and it was two o’clock in the afternoon. I turned north and got out of the woods four hours later at six o’clock. Thank God for those fresh flashlight batteries. I found out later that the dirt road I took the compass reading on came to a dead end. I went way pass the road. I was getting close to building a fire and a ground blind. I almost spend the night in the freezing woods.

Comment

My story is similar to Gary's, with the dead end road, in the Adirondack Mountains of New York State. I had to spend the night in the woods at 5 degrees above zero with a foot of snow on the ground.
      But I kept a fire going all night, and I actually slept for an hour or two off and on, on a bed made of pine boughs, waking up only when the fire was almost out and the cold awakened me. I had snack food along, so hunger was not a problem.
      I was found in the morning by local hunters who had heard about me on TV the night before. I had only one round of ammo with me at the time, so I couldn't fire the three-shot universal distress signal, and had to rely on my lungs to give my location when I heard them calling for me.
      It is a very strange feeling to be lost and totally out of contact with the civilized world for any length of time. There were no cellphones at the time.
      I now carry at least ten rounds of ammo plus a loaded sidearm when deer hunting.

Comment

I was on a winter moose hunt in interior Alaska with two friends. Three of us had ridden in about 60 miles on two snow machines. My buddy Jack and I were on one, and Fred pulled a sled with all the supplies, fuel, food, etc., behind his machine. At one point late in the day, we crested a hill and saw several moose in the wooded valley below. We decided that Jack and I would ride around to the other side of the trees and then try to sneak close enough on foot to get a shot at the moose, while Fred stayed on the hill to keep track of the herd, should they move before we got to them. As we were sneaking towards the moose, they wandered into the trees towards us, out of Fred’s view. About an hour after we got off the snow machine, we saw them. Jack fired, but somehow missed, so he jacked another round in the chamber and fired again. He again missed and fired a third time. (we later learned that the snow machine ride jacked his scope, so he says When the moose moved off, we walked back to the snow machine and headed towards the top of the hill to meet Fred and make camp. The sun was setting as we crested the hill to find no trace of Fred, his snow machine, and all the supplies. We were certain that we were in the right place, but he was nowhere to be found.

We assessed the situation, realized that we didn’t have the fuel to make it back to the truck, and more importantly, didn’t have any camping gear. We considered looking for Fred, but because of the trail conditions, didn’t think that we would be able to follow his tracks. At that point it was about 25 below zero and the temperature was dropping as quickly as the sun. We were both wearing arctic gear, but there was no way we would be able to survive a night in the open. We immediately thought of digging into a snow drift to make a primitive igloo, but there wasn’t enough snow in the area to offer a deep drift, so we would have to pile snow up to have something to dig into. Jack and I, separately, both had the sudden realization that if we didn’t do everything perfectly, we might never see the dawn. Just as we had finished piling enough snow to make a shelter, and were using our snow machine goggles to dig out a shelter, we heard the sound of a distant 2 stroke engine and turned to see the headlight of Fred’s snow machine headed towards us.

Once Fred crested the hill, he told us that he heard three evenly spaced shots and thought we were in trouble, so he took off to find us. (Three evenly spaced shots is a distress signal) In hindsight, we realized that Jack’s three shots were spaced out by how long it takes to chamber another round. We moved off the hill and out of the wind and made camp without incident, but with an eternal reminder of just how little has to go wrong to get you in trouble.

Comment

A lesson to be learned firing two shots is okay but not three right after the second.

Comment

If you are hunting with companions not in your immediate vicinity, and you have to fire three rapid shots at game, you might consider firing a fourth to cancel out the universal distress signal.

Comment

I have four stories to tell but my eyes are dilated today from Dr appointment so it will have to wait.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad