Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody ever started a fire with a fire bow? The best I've done is to get a coal going but no fire. I am also looking for ti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody ever started a fire with a fire bow? The best I've done is to get a coal going but no fire. I am also looking for ti

Has anybody ever started a fire with a fire bow? The best I've done is to get a coal going but no fire. I am also looking for tips that I could use to get a fire.

I started many a fire using a magnifing glass, unfortunately bright sun is needed. Steel wool and a 9 volt battery works too. But it is just as easy to carry matches or a small lighter.

Comment

All you're going to get is a coal. It won't burst into a flame. The trick is to take the coal and drop it into a tinder nest of very fine, very dry tinder and blow it into a fire. The whole process is a real art form. I'm certainly not an expert but it's a fun project to do with the kids in the back yard fire pit. I hope i never have to use it in a survival situation. There's a lot of information and tutorials on tithe Internet that can help you.

Comment

Yes I know all you get is a coal and then you have to transfer it to a tinder bundle, but I have trouble just getting a coal.

Comment

gave up on the idea of the bow drill several years ago. Too much work and never got it working in the most controlled conditions. Saw a way on you tube using jumper cables and a pencil and a car battery that was pretty cool. Coke can with the bottom polished with toothpaste and reflect it into your tinder. And when all else fails a road flare with burn wet wood well enough to dry it out.

Comment

When I was a wee lad, I tried to start a fire in a supermarket window display using a magnifying glass from outside the store, but could not get the distance right. I was lucky I wasn't caught and charged with attempted arson.

Comment

Hi...

Starting a camp/survival fire frequently requires a weatherproof flame or a strong spark (or series of sparks).

Then, you need tinder for the spark(s)or flame to ignite.

Sparks can come from a ferro rod or spark striker, for examples.

Then, you need some good tinder to catch the spark and ignite. One good method is to use cotton balls that have some Vaseline added.

However, JPMNTMAN's road flare is one you just can't go wrong with (not usually, anyway).

Other methods may also work at times...if you have the equipment and the talent...but are best left for science and/or medicine shows, IMuHO.

Comment

Ok to to do this right you have to have wood like cedar or willow Me for most show I have done I use ceder for the spindle and the fire board your spindle I would make no more then a foot long and 1/2" round make one end blunt and carve the other end to a point and use a hard wood like oak to put on top to push down just don't push down to hard . Now for the fire board make a little spot for the spindle to seat in give at least a 1/8" more space from the side of the spindle the side of the board , now pot the spindle is the spot you made on the fire board and turn it to it has wa good place to seat put the spindle to the side you will have to carve a "V" from the side of the fire board to side to the center of the spot were that the spindle seats . now to make a nest to put the coal you make in I use Old cedar just take a pice and fold and rub is in you hands it will start to look like a mouse nest make a good size ball now make little hole in it to put your coal that you make . ok put a pice of bark under your fire board for your coal to land on put one foot on the fire board so it don't move put the string a round your spindle and put the piece on top you have for you hand to push down with now start to move the bow back end forth don't stop till you see the smoke turns black now take you coal and put it in your nest you made and blow on it it will start to smoke a lot then turn in to fire ... way to go you just made you first fire with out a match ... this kind of fire making should be done a lot at home so you know you can do it with ease have fun . take care Nimkee

Comment

I place of a bow and a lot easier for the beginner is to take a string and tie a loop about 6" apart now take you spindle on the top end carve a grove a cross the top put a loop over each thumb put the string in the grove and your hands on each side of the spindle and move your hands back and forth till you get black smoke . take care Nimkee

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                    by PigHunter
                    I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                    Today, 02:16 PM
                  • Cheaper Than Dirt
                    by jhjimbo
                    Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                    Today, 12:21 PM
                  • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                    by fitch270
                    I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                    Today, 01:40 PM
                  • 300 yard .22lr
                    by jhjimbo
                    Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                    Today, 11:28 AM
                  • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                    by jhjimbo
                    I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                    Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X