Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good budget survival knife.

What is a good budget survival knife.

I like the Buck 119, but it does lack a lanyard.

Comment

Hi...

Ah, yes...the question with a million answers...!!

A "survival" knife exists in the eye of the beholder.

However, since no other info is provided, I have to say the Mora knife. It's a fairly compact case knife, keeps its edge well, and has many uses...like cutting food, skinning, etc. And, it is inexpensive.

More info can be gotten by googling 'Mora knives'.

Comment

The Buck 110 folder is a top choice at about $40.

Comment

For about 20 bucks at Walmart you can get the Gerber Profile Fixed Blade knife. It is a great all around survival hunting knife for the money. It is a full tang non-serrated knife that holds a pretty good edge for the money. I have one I keep in my Jeep as a back up knife. It will do just about anything you need it to do. Stay away from ones with a compartment in the handle and ones that are much over 4 inches. Just MHO

Comment

M-tech airforce survival knife 15.99 off ebay, ive heard great reviews about it. or for about 60 bucks you could get a K-bar

Comment

Any "survival" knife is actually a good quality bushcraft knife, that is a fixed blade knife, probably a drop point blade of 3 1/2 to 5 inches, and if you want to spark fires with it probably with a carbon steel blade. One can pay $100 for a fancy knife that might meet this criteria and looks cool, or one can pay $25 for a Mora Knife that is really plain jane and un-cool looking but meets all this criteria.

Comment

I like the ones with hollow handles to hold things but they lack tang strength. Its hard to beat a Swiss Army knife for everyday carry and "urban survival". For defense with them you just run the heck away from the attacker. I usually carry a cold steel bushman or lite hunter in the back woods with a lighter taped to the scabbard. I usually like normal size knives because the one you have with you is better than the one in you truck or house. I lost several big belt knives when the weight pulled them off the belt so I do not buy high end for daily use,camping or hunting.

Comment

Cold Steel Pendleton Lite and the Buck Special.

Comment

I have the cold steel pendleton, mora classic one and the buck 110,they are all good knives but I dont think they are really survival knives. But thanks for the answers.

Comment

Harbor Fright has a pretty good survival knife for $7. Even thought its cheap its actually a good knife.

Comment

Hi...

I just heard about Cold Steel's new "Survival Edge" knife with a 5" blade.

Prices for it varied between $45.00 (from Cold Steel) and $27.00 elsewhere.

Their propaganda looked interesting.

Comment

Buck 119 and a Mora stainless are always with me in the woods. A decent lock back is always in my pocket except when flying.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad