Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just finished re-reading "Call of the Wild" by Jack London. Man could he capture the essence of the experience of man in the w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just finished re-reading "Call of the Wild" by Jack London. Man could he capture the essence of the experience of man in the w

I just finished re-reading "Call of the Wild" by Jack London. Man could he capture the essence of the experience of man in the wilderness. Anyone else got a good read going this winter?

My favorite passage:
    "There is a patience of the wild--dogged, tireless, persistent as life itself--that holds motionless for endless hours the spider in its web, the snake in its coils, the panther in its ambushcade; this patience belongs peculiarly to life when it hunts its living food; ....

Good stuff.

Comment

Not as poetic as London's masterpeice, but I'm enjoying Mike Eastmans new mule deer book that just came out. Good read as well.

Comment

"The Hunter's Alaska," by Roy F. Chandler (Iron Brigade Armory, 2005).
        The definitive work on hunting in today's Alaska, profusely illustrated
        Great stuff.

Comment

Taking a class and catching up on some texts for work. Dry reading for sure. No time for recreational reading for a while.

Comment

An awesome book to read is Night of the Grizzlies. The book was published in 1969, by author Jack Olsen, which details true events of August 13, 1967, when two young women were separately attacked in Glacier National Park, Montana by grizzly bears. Both women, Julie Helgeson, 19, of Albert Lea, Minnesota, and Michele Koons, 19, of San Diego, California died of their injuries. Olsen's book investigates the potential causes of the incidents, in an area where no grizzly attacks had previously been recorded.

An unrelated but similarly named movie had been released in April 1966 before the above-referenced attacks.

Comment

Jim Corbett, Man-Eaters of Kumaon. Not too bad.

Comment

I am reading Green Hills Of Africa by Jack London... Very good book, He has quite a attitude though. Like CL3 said i am also reading Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, Cabelas, And Bass Pro Shops.
                Seth

Comment

I failed to mention, that both grizzly bear attacks were twenty miles apart. Each women were dragged away from her tent, while still inside their sleeping bag. They each had boyfriends who were eye witnesses to the killing.

Comment

Seth Trudeau, didn't Hemingway write Green Hills of Africa, or did London do one by the same title?

I just finished A Quiet Place of Violence, as well. I wasn't that impressed with it, but I think that has more to do with me than the quality of the book, as many others have loved it.

Recently, I read Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer for the first time. It's about mountaineering, as opposed to hunting or fishing, but still an amazing story of survival (or not) in the outdoors.

Comment

Speaking of Krakauer, read Into The Wild, BUT then read the hard-to-find Ivar Ruud, Year Long Day! One reveals an ill-fated trip (ie boots from Kmart), the other details a man planning a pain-staking life in the Arctic to hunt polar bears for their pelts. Incredible story! Named my dog Naika after his......

Comment

I just just finished reading an unbelievable story of a world war 2 spy for the British. this guy was incredible, he is credited for saving thousands of lives on D-Day and a ton more. His reports kept the Panser Divisions in the Pas de Calais instead of Normandy for over a month after the landings. Book is called Garbo.

Comment

I am in the middle of "The Man-Eaters of Tsavo" by Lt. Colonel J.H. Patterson

Comment

Just finished "Guns and Hunting" by Finn Aguaarrd. Now I'm going to try to find something written by Townsend Whelen.

Comment

Seth,
                              Nice trick reading a book not written by the correct author! LOL

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad