Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you need to pack light and are limited on weight, what are the necessary supplies you carry for your first-aid kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They make little iodine ampules that will cover all of your open wounds. DUCT TAPE. Cloth. medical reference book.

Comment

I carry Adventure Medicals little pocket doctor in the waterproof bag it comes in. I added some alchahol pads, bandages, and some TP. I held the kit underwater, and under my faucet on full blast, and not a drop of water got in. The kit cost me about 8 bucks!

Comment

I carry Adventure Medicals little pocket doctor in the waterproof bag it comes in. I added some alchahol pads, bandages, and some TP. I held the kit underwater, and under my faucet on full blast, and not a drop of water got in. The kit cost me about 8 bucks!

Comment

I reccomend some hooks, line, matches coated in wax, match strike paper, compass, and water purifier.
          all packed in plastic waterproof bag.

Comment

Don't forget some Quikclot gauze pads. Stops bleeding quickly. Used it at home and it worked.

Comment

This is more a question than an answer. There were no mention of any antihistamine for the 1st aid kit (perhaps, I missed it). I have no experience with survival, but to me it make sense to have one. You never know what you may have, or develop an allergy for. And this thing can make a big difference before you get back to the camp and does not take much space. Just my opinion. Have anyone experienced a need for it?

Comment

I keep Quikclot gauze pads in my first aid kit. It is a product that has been used by the military for several years and has saved numerous lives in Iraq and Afganistan. It is now available for civilian use.

I have used it on a hiking friend who took a bad fall and cut his leg badly. We tried using conventional gauze pads and pressure, but couldn't stop the bleeding. I took out a Quikclot gauze pad and pressed it to his cut for a couple of minutes and bleeding completely stopped. We bandaged him and got him back to the trailhead and took him to an ER for stitches.

Quikclot comes in packaging that is perfect for a personal first aid kit and is available at Quikclot.com, Cabelas and REI.

Comment

neosporin, bandaids, gauze and scissors.

Comment

emergency blanket, triangular bandages, mole skin

Comment

the most important thing you can have in your first aid bag is knowledge. You can do alot of things with nothing, but the stuff around you. Spint broken bones, cover wounds, and stabilize injuries with the woods you are in. Knowledge is power.

Comment

Some seem to be getting off the topic of this post. Over 50 years in the woods I have never needed more than some bandaids, a small bottle of betadine, a few 4x4 gauze sponges, a small folded piece of duct tape, a jackknife, and a needle.

Needle for splinters. Duct tape for butterflys, to
                        hold sponges on injury, cover blisters, etc and betadine for disinfection replace earlier less effective components. Any more than this is wishful thinking and wastes space.

Comment

Absolute necessity: Gauze and Tape - you can fabricate just about any size temporary bandage with that. Some triple antibiotic is also high on the list. Sticks can function as temp. splits with the tape.

Comment

6 adhesive bandages,2 sterile gauze pads,3-by-3-inch,1smallroll of adhesive tape, 1 moleskin 3-by6-inch,1 small bar of soap, 1small tube of antiseptic,1 pair of scissors, 1 pair of latex gloves, 1 mouth-barrier device for rescue breathing or CPR, 1 plastic goggles or other eye protection , and 1 pencil and paper each

Comment

Duct tape. It will serve many purposes.

Comment

for hunting and most outdoor activities i carry an extractor for snake bits and stings. guaze, alcohol pads, dr tichiner mouth wash is the best rubbing alcohol. bandaids, mouth resesitation cover, a firstaid book. and a few other wraps. bottle of advil, uses are if a victim is having a heart attack, the advil will thin the blood increasing the chance for survival. tylonol for pain. ibeuprofin for swelling. latex gloves, triple antibiotic. thats about it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to New Things
                                  by PigHunter
                                  Matt, I may also do an e-bike conversion on my old Specialized Hard Rock 21-speed. That would make it easier to get to some stands quietly. Been looking...
                                  Today, 10:07 AM
                                • New Things
                                  by MattM37
                                  Some interesting stories in the recent Fur-Fish-Game. Canoeing down rivers to hunt for wild boars, and stalking streambanks to hunt muskrats. Are...
                                  Yesterday, 07:14 PM
                                • Reply to South Dakota leads the way.
                                  by PigHunter
                                  I blocked you because of your politics. Got tired of your half-truths and exaggerations.

You are so right about my conscience, it keeps me...
                                  Today, 10:03 AM
                                • South Dakota leads the way.
                                  by labrador12
                                  South Dakota didn't lock down. South Dakota continued with open schools. South Dakota even held the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. South Dakota maintained...
                                  02-27-2021, 07:10 PM
                                • Reply to New Things
                                  by PigHunter
                                  Jim, I appreciate the advice. But the original topic of this thread is about hunting and fishing. Are you planning any kind of new hunting or fishing...
                                  Today, 09:52 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X