Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can microfilter waterbottles filter out everything bad like even bacteria, orr do i still need to boil the water.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can microfilter waterbottles filter out everything bad like even bacteria, orr do i still need to boil the water.

can microfilter waterbottles filter out everything bad like even bacteria, orr do i still need to boil the water.

Most filter everything other than viruses. From what I've been told, viruses are more of a concern South of the border, in jungle areas. The owner manual that comes with your filter should tell you what it covers.

Comment

Different filters filter different things. You should read the package it comes in to see what the filter takes out.

Comment

Any filter system will have a lower limit on the size of particles that it can filter, so the added step of boiling will always be advisable to make sure that you get viruses, smaller bacteria and cysts/spores that your filter may not handle. A VERY small quantity of bleach (like 1 small drop per gallon) or exposure to UV light can also help control some of those water-borne hazards, but boiling is still advisable.

You also have to weigh your immediate need for water - if you will die of thirst before you can get the chance to boil water, go with what your filter will give you and take your chances.

Comment

As long as you don't venture to third world countries, a quality filter will take care of any biological nasties in the water. They will not, however, take care of industrial pollutants, nor most viruses. The good news is that these things rarely occur in the places where sportsmen spend their time. Here is a FAQ that might help:
          http://cascadedesigns.com/MSR/FAQ/Water-Treatment-and-Hydration

Comment

I would say boil the water..like they say "better safe than sorry"...but I would also reccomend to read the package to see what the filter covers.

Comment

you should boil the water thats get all the bacteria out of your water.

Comment

boil anyway just to make sure, better safe then having diarreai.

Comment

You can trust the bottle when you need to but when I have the opportunity I boil the water just in case.

Comment

I'd boil it regarless of what the filter said it could do.

Comment

To play it safe when you don't have the opportunity to boil, carry a bottle of iodine tablets which purify the water. It adds a different taste to it(which I wouldn't classify as good or bad) but the water is safe.

Comment

boil the water when u can but it wont hurt u to drink straight out of a clean mountain stream

Comment

In this day there is no such as a clean mountain stream. Free ranging cattle on summer range, beavers in their ponds and lodges, etc. Wild water needs to be purified. If you think you are dehydrated now wait until the diahrea does a number on you. Either boil it, treat it for the full three hours to kill the hard shell cysts, or filter it. There are micro filters and there are purifiers, A purifier with a filter of .004 microns will filter out everything viruses and all.

Comment

not to push my luck but ive used the katadyne pro or whatever the cheapest one is on numerous 4 day camping trips and without boiling ive had nothing but the freshest clearest tasteless water i think ever had. always use your best discresion

Comment

It depends on the filter type. You should read the instructions and if it doesn't say anything about that then boil it to be safe

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to We Don't NEED
                                by rock rat
                                Turd herder? Bubba did you used to work at the wastewater plant?

Am Flyer, much appreciated but it's kind of a lost cause here.
                                Today, 01:18 PM
                              • We Don't NEED
                                by jhjimbo
                                We may want, but we do not NEED.
                                We don't need a female President just to have a female President. We especially don't need a black female President...
                                Yesterday, 07:33 AM
                              • Reply to We Don't NEED
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Perhaps it's time to think about scheduling one of Trump's cognitive tests? ...
                                Today, 01:08 PM
                              • Reply to What Would Your World Be Like ?
                                by Amflyer
                                If Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi were alive today, they would not think this meme to be in good taste. Shame on you. ...
                                Today, 01:04 PM
                              • What Would Your World Be Like ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Have you thought about what your world would be like if you could not legally own a firearm ??...
                                Yesterday, 04:12 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X