Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You're hunting elk in Montana. You have room for 1 meal in your pack. MRE or store-bought dehydrated meal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tmike51
    replied
    MRE.

Leave a comment:

• fishin kid
    replied
    im a us marine... i know that mre's are packed with calories and 1 mre is enough for more than three meals.
    ive took them on ling hikes with me out in the washington.
    well good luck
    fishin kid

Leave a comment:

• fishin kid
    replied
    im a us marine... i know that mre's are packed with calories and 1 mre is enough for more than three meals.
    ive took them on ling hikes with me out in the washington.
    well good luck
    fishin kid

Leave a comment:

• FloridaHunter1226
    replied
    MRE... easier to make no matter what and are better for a strander/survival situation

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    MRE.....All the way......

Leave a comment:

• pennst8hunter
    replied
    a mre cause they taste better, and unlike mtn. house foods you dont need to ad hot water.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Bowers
    replied
    If you can take only one meal, you have no idea how to pack.

You can OPEN the MREs and pick and choose an assortment to stash in your buttpack, pack, jacket pockets. Crackers in the pockets to nibble while hiking, etc...

Like above, a few Snickers stuck here and there are a fine idea.

And of course, you are taking a bag or E-tool to NOT LEAVE THAT CRAP SCATTERED ALL OVER MY WOODS! Sorry, I usually just think that in silent frustration.

Leave a comment:

• texastriedandtrue
    replied
    mre in my pack with jerky in my pocket mre's last forever and for the most part are really good all depends on what type of food you like

Leave a comment:

replied
    Ramen + Snickers = elk hunt dinner, o yea, i can buy like 30 packs of noodles for the price of 1 MRE.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I make stuff at home from stuff bought at the store. (ex.) sandwhich

Nate

Leave a comment:

• VT Outdoorsman
    replied
    I would go with MRE. Lots of stuff in the full meal pouches and the heater is contained in it. No need to bring a stove or anything. But then again...if you dont have a stove you cant boil water if you dont have potable aqua or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• ETangler
    replied
    MRE

Leave a comment:

• usmcturkey
    replied
    I would say a MRE, I have eaten plenty of them on deployment. With everyone talking about using water to heat them, you could always use the water around you. We were doing training near the ocean so I filled up the heater with salt water. I have used stream water and gatorade. Any liquid will do, also they are coming out with new meals like tuna and sloppy joe filling. Some of the items you have to mix and have an imagination. (Like mixing crackers + spiced apples= apple crisp. I know it is not the really thing but its the next best when you are far from home.)

Leave a comment:

• hunt_fish_sleep
    replied
    Really the only decent MRE's are the military ones, which you cannot easily find as they are government property, and therefore cannot legally be sold. Freeze dried and dehydrated food is quite expensive. When I need lunch in the field, I use this wonderful new invention called a lunch box.

Leave a comment:

• robert_2
    replied
    The MRE's offer more calories, but weigh a ton compared the freeze dried meals. I keep a few in my truck and about 10 in my SHTF regimen. If I'm hiking anywhere I've got my pack/my cookstove and my freezedried stuff in there. MRE'S are fine if someone else is toting them, but freezedried taste better.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad