Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You're hunting elk in Montana. You have room for 1 meal in your pack. MRE or store-bought dehydrated meal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRE's are better to have if you get in a survival situation

Comment

MRE are actually good meals and they are very cheap! That is the only food we buy when we do our Colorado trips.

Comment

MRE because you have more food. But I think store bought dehydrated food might taste better.

Comment

MRE's are a grat choice.

Comment

MRE's are a great choice.

Comment

Room in your pack for one (1) meal? I'd have to choose one of the MREs. Three meals? I'd say there's room for other options. By the way, I can't remember the last time I ever packed only one meal. I'd leave other pack items behind before I'd depart with only one. You never can be absolutely certain if weather or mishap will delay you.

Comment

T How old are you? If you're dad uses the same account you just have to wonder.

Comment

MRE if I didn't want to take a little stove and pot along. My favorite backpack meal as of late is to get a pack of loaded baked dehydrated potatos, pouch of turkey gravey mix, and a can of chicken meat. Add the chicken meat to the gravey and serve over the potatos, a lot of good food for the not much weight. 1 can of meat, 2 packs of gravey, and 2 packs of potatos will fill up 3 guys.

Comment

Man. Any of the beef MREs are OK. It'd be an MRE, but 7 months eating MREs in the field in Iraq (one per day, supplementing as much care package chow as possible) has done a lot of irreversible damage. Oddly enough, though, the beef MREs don't make me shudder. MREs to avoid (since y'all have a choice): Jamaican Pork Chop, Beef Frankfurters (Five Fingers of Death), Country Captain Chicken (WTF?), and any of the gawdawful "vegetarian" choices. Best MRE: POT ROAST (delicious, actually). Jalapeno cheese spread is the best -- warm it up with your main meal in the heater sleeve. Do not eat that bad boy cold!!!

Comment

I would say an MRE, they are designed to have one a day, you can eat a warm meal and have a heat pack for your hands with nothing but a little water to add, and it is light to carry. I would recommend anything vegetarian, in my experience meat just doesn't store well in them, and if you are lucky you might score a pound cake. I have opened them up just to find the cake!

Comment

well I'll go ahead and cast my vote for an MRE but I'm really surpised none of you old timers brought up the all time favorite Omlet with Ham!!! talk about making you want to puke, that was the old brown bag or the dark one the ones from the mid 90s up are great.
                        and I'll echo what Texas said those suck but strangely I like the oriental ones Chicken chow mein and theres another one too that isn't bad... Man now I'm hungry!

Comment

The MRE's offer more calories, but weigh a ton compared the freeze dried meals. I keep a few in my truck and about 10 in my SHTF regimen. If I'm hiking anywhere I've got my pack/my cookstove and my freezedried stuff in there. MRE'S are fine if someone else is toting them, but freezedried taste better.

Comment

Really the only decent MRE's are the military ones, which you cannot easily find as they are government property, and therefore cannot legally be sold. Freeze dried and dehydrated food is quite expensive. When I need lunch in the field, I use this wonderful new invention called a lunch box.

Comment

I would say a MRE, I have eaten plenty of them on deployment. With everyone talking about using water to heat them, you could always use the water around you. We were doing training near the ocean so I filled up the heater with salt water. I have used stream water and gatorade. Any liquid will do, also they are coming out with new meals like tuna and sloppy joe filling. Some of the items you have to mix and have an imagination. (Like mixing crackers + spiced apples= apple crisp. I know it is not the really thing but its the next best when you are far from home.)

Comment

MRE

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad