Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You're hunting elk in Montana. You have room for 1 meal in your pack. MRE or store-bought dehydrated meal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're hunting elk in Montana. You have room for 1 meal in your pack. MRE or store-bought dehydrated meal?

You're hunting elk in Montana. You have room for 1 meal in your pack. MRE or store-bought dehydrated meal?

Probaby one of those Moutian House meals. http://www.mountainhouse.com/ Check them out

Comment

I like to vacum seal food for short trips. It's cheaper and taste better.

Comment

MRE Chicken and Rice. You've got Tabasco in there, pepper, salt, it's own little heating system, and it's as compact as you can get in a ready to go meal. Not all MRE meals taste bad, and you can get a ton of them at Surplus stores. Not to mention they'll last you forever.

Comment

The MRE's are packed with calories- better choice if you get stranded- you can stretch it a couple of days, and you don't need to add water or cook it.

Comment

MRE, hands-down! There is 2000 calories packed in there if you eat it all. That is enough for a whole day. There are portions of the meal that you don't prepare at all, others can be heated up or mixed with water. The very best part of the MRE is that there is a flameless ration heater in there. You add some water, slip in your entree and wait about 10 minutes while it gets warmed up. It's a perfect mid-day pick-me-up, to get some hot chow in your belly to keep you going down the trail.
            If you had to pack a lot of food on your back I would go with the mountain house as it is much lighter and takes up less space, but it takes water and time to prepare, and a mess-kit to eat it out of. A little more complicated.
            If I was bringing only one meal it would be an MRE with a heater (check the box).

Comment

store-bought dehydrated meal?

Comment

MRE - they are cheaper and you only have to use about 2 ounces of your water to prepare it. They are loaded with all the essentials you need to function in harsh environments, or the military wouldn't be using them...

Comment

MRE hands down. light weight, easy to fix.

Comment

i would go with a MRE

Comment

MRE's are handy and serve there purpose, but I am a big fan of making my own jerky and snacks in a dehydrator. Not to mention I really like the taste of it. Pack some water tabs and your good to go.

Comment

MRE's have always given me gas. (7 years prior service)

Comment

MRE's

Comment

MRE, they are high calorie, come with a condiment pack, cheap, easy to heat, and taste pretty good.

Comment

MRE's are cheap and high caloried and not all of them are terrible tasting. I actually had a decent chicken and noodles one lately.

This is my 100th answer. Me and my dad (we both answer peoples questions on this account) thank you for letting us help!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad