Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for survival knives? I am looking for a fixed bladed survival knife not exceeding the blade length of 6 inches. Also

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more thought if you can't do the Bear Grills knife because of the name sake, check out these knifes also by gerber. Gerber Tantos : I just cut and pasted it from the artical about the knife show in 2010. I had the old version with me in Iraq and I loved it. But it has the same blade as the the Grills survial knife.
    These two look a little better I guess.

Comment

Sog Seal Pup elite

Cold steel SRK

Two excellent smaller survival/ camp knives.

Comment

If you want good inexspensive knives try these guys
        http://www.rockymountainsurvival.com
        go to there knives page. They usually have the GI Tanto by cold steel (great knife) I dont see it there now so they must be out of stock but I am sure it will be back. Tanto blades are great for survival knives. The blade design will perice anything and they are great for digging just a good all around design for survival knives. This one is carbon steel and at a very good price.
        Timo

Comment

SOG seal pup elite is an excellent knife. It has a handy pocket on the sheath for a mini survival kit or whatever else you can fit in it. Also it comes razor sharp and is half serrated. It cost about 60$ and is well worth the money. It is availible at any outdoor store.

Comment

I have a Case leatherhandle, something like that, it fixed blad and was like $40 I think, I use it for everything skinning, cutting and the blade is 4 to 6 inchess long

Comment

You know I think the very best survival knife you can get is the leatherman. I know thats not what your looking for. But I really can't think of anything you can't do with one.

Comment

Any of the mid-size Buck fixed blade knives will do you fine. The Buck Special runs around $50 - $60 and is a good, sturdy knife that is large enough to be useful without being clumsy. It doesn't have serrations or a saw or any of that nonsense. Those things just interfere with field sharpening, chew up batons, and provide stress points where the blade is more likely to snap.
                The only thing you might want to do is make a few turns of tape around the handle or rough it up with some fine sandpaper. Buck ships it with a beautiful, shiny finish that is slicker than I like.

Comment

The bear grills one maybe. I haven't heard much about it though.

Comment

i recommend the sog field pup,i have had one for a few months now and i love it.it was 40 bucks on walmart.com.
                    the grip is good when wet,and i love the sheath.it is the same one as the nylon one that comes with the seal pup except smaller.it is left or right side compatible.it also has a hard plastic insert,so you son't cut through the sheath.

Comment

check out Mora of sweden knives, at bens backwoods online, they are extremely affordable (10$) but can hold their own with knives that cost 100$+. Most have blades around 4in. They are simple, they are not pretty, they will not impress anyone at hunting camp, until someone sees what they can do. For the money you can buy several different ones, and pick your favorite, all while staying under the price range for even one knife of comparable quality made by a big-name company. I was hesitant at first to trust a 10$ knife, but they are AMAZING!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                        by labrador12
                        You could listen to Jack del Rio and Larry Correia and blow off the hearings because they are a made for TV Stalinesque Show Trial too!. The same people...
                        Today, 04:09 PM
                      • Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                        by FirstBubba
                        Number 1 - the committee was SUPPOSED to be composed of 8 (D)'s and 5 (R)'s.
                        Pelosi rejected three of the (R) members and filled the spots with...
                        06-11-2022, 08:51 AM
                      • Reply to Abortion Up To States
                        by labrador12
                        That is why so many citizens are outraged by the Jan 6 atrocity by the Brandon Justice Dept. Nothing illegalities are being blown out of proportion. Meanwhile...
                        Today, 03:35 PM
                      • Abortion Up To States
                        by jhjimbo
                        Court reversed abortion, back to the States where it should have been in the first place. Let them vote on it.
                        06-24-2022, 12:22 PM
                      • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                        by labrador12
                        In NY your guns are enumerated on your permit. In Pa the citizen is issued a permit. No questions are asked. No finger prints, no training requirements,....
                        Today, 03:25 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X