Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for survival knives? I am looking for a fixed bladed survival knife not exceeding the blade length of 6 inches. Also

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for survival knives? I am looking for a fixed bladed survival knife not exceeding the blade length of 6 inches. Also

Suggestions for survival knives? I am looking for a fixed bladed survival knife not exceeding the blade length of 6 inches. Also, the price range should be around $10-$80. I know that there are not that many knives that are good with these requisites, so bear with me. Thanks so much.

The SOG Seal Pup is one to consider. I've had one for several years and like it alot. I only wish I had gotten the plain edge rather than serated edge version. If you do some shopping you could find one that is near the upper end of your price range.

The Buck 119 Special is also one to consider at that price. I don't have any personal experince with it though. I plan on getting one soon though, it seems like a nice blade.

A Ka-Bar would be a good choice. My first fixed blade was the smaller sized Ka-Bar. I love the thing. Plus it has been tested by several generations of soldiers, marines, and outdoorsman and always proven itself.

Cold Steel also seems to have some good stuff. I have never used a Cold Steel knife, but I have been close to buying one several times. Also I've heard people speak very highly of them on here. Spend some time on their websit. They have a few blades that would fit your criteria.

Comment

The Ontario RAT-3 has several significant advantages as a survival knife. The fixed blade is 3.5 inches long. It is made of a 1095 high carbon steel which is incredibly durable, holds an edge extremely well, and resists corrosion due to its protective coating. The flat grind creates a blade geometry that is excellent for survival tasks such as carving and slicing, and is also very easy to re-sharpen in the field. Hope this helps!

Comment

I love my Ka-Bar even though its just a look alike! Most army surplus stores you can get them for a pretty good price. I also have another thats really nice and it feels good too! The guy who sold it to me at the surplus store said it was an air force survival knife and i really like it!

Comment

Cody Lundin, Survival/Primitive Skills Expert, always uses a Mora knife. No fancy bells or whistles. Just a very good quality simple knife for surprisingly very little money. Check Ben's Backwoods online for best prices.

Comment

SOG seal pup is a great all round knife. Had 1 for years.
            Love my old Camillus Army survival knife (old series). It is indestructible. I pair it with a swiss army knife or leathermen.
            My hunting knife and pocket knifeā€¦ Only CASE. Good stuff, American made.

Comment

It is hard to beat a ka=bar.

Comment

Another vote for Mora knives here. I've had one for a few years. Cost me $25, and has been a solid investment!

Comment

Is the Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife any good?

Comment

F&S had a review of the Bear Grills Ultimate Knife.

Comment

Cold steel peace maker. dont know how much it is. but the tnp project loves it.

Comment

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=fairbairn+sykes&oe=utf-8&rls=com.yahoo:en-USfficial&client=firefox&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9459355237367292296&sa=X&ei=xPFsTsz 0OZGjsQLCorXjBA&ved=0CDoQ8wIwAQ

Comment

I've owned the Gerber BG ultimate survival knife for six months now and have had no problems with it. I have used it for everything from chopping limbs off a tree to skinning a fish. I was skeptical at first because of the Bear Grylls gimmick but it really is a high quality knife. In essence, it is the Gerber LMF II knife with a "grippier", rubberized handle. With the fire steel and sharpener built into the sheath, it makes a great survival knife.

Comment

Becker BK2. Just think about what you and your skill set are, if you have bushcraft skill/or will employ bushcraft skill for survival, you are going to want to get a knife w/o serrations, the serrated part is the blade area you will need to care your traps and tools.

Ka-Bar, Mora, and Seal Pup are also great options. I like the Tom Brown Tracker [multiple size options]

Comment

I just got the Bear Grills knife from my kids for my birthday. I have to say I really like it. I know a lot of guys look at it like a markiting ploy, but I think its pretty neat. Plus you get the fire starter in the sheath. And it causts all of 50 bucks at Wal Mart. I have seen the reviews that say its junk and the handle brakes, but if it does gerber gives you a new one. In any case I like mine.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                                by labrador12
                                You could listen to Jack del Rio and Larry Correia and blow off the hearings because they are a made for TV Stalinesque Show Trial too!. The same people...
                                Today, 04:09 PM
                              • Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                                by FirstBubba
                                Number 1 - the committee was SUPPOSED to be composed of 8 (D)'s and 5 (R)'s.
                                Pelosi rejected three of the (R) members and filled the spots with...
                                06-11-2022, 08:51 AM
                              • Reply to Abortion Up To States
                                by labrador12
                                That is why so many citizens are outraged by the Jan 6 atrocity by the Brandon Justice Dept. Nothing illegalities are being blown out of proportion. Meanwhile...
                                Today, 03:35 PM
                              • Abortion Up To States
                                by jhjimbo
                                Court reversed abortion, back to the States where it should have been in the first place. Let them vote on it.
                                06-24-2022, 12:22 PM
                              • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                                by labrador12
                                In NY your guns are enumerated on your permit. In Pa the citizen is issued a permit. No questions are asked. No finger prints, no training requirements,....
                                Today, 03:25 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X